hello hello help me please

hi there

i'm in the middle of reassembling my beetle's engine at the moment...

i am slightly stuck at the moment, haven't had any problems particularly, but I have been looking through my engine gasket set, and have found some o-rings... there are some which go over the main case studs (the thick ones, 6 of) and I've found 4 others, which i guess are about 9mm ID, of which i am completely unable to work out the purpose. If anyone could give me some clue as to where they should go I would be most grateful...

PS its going into a brand new, universal case if that's any help...

thanks danny

Reply to
danny goulder

sounds like you are either looking at the rocker stand seals or the valve stem seals...its a little eary for my to picture 9mm accurately..

gary

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:24:39 -0400, Gary Tateosian left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

one in the middle is 9mm. Glad I could help! :-P

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

No Travis. This is a 9mm:

Olli Lammi

i think you might be right.

seeing as there's 4 of them, rocker stand seals are probably the ones...

didn't think of looking at the heads when i was staring blankly at all the o-rings!!!

cheers

Reply to
danny goulder

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:55:06 GMT, MUADIB® left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I added some stuff to it since that picture was taken. Here's what it looks like now:

:-D

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:56:03 GMT, MUADIB® left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Mossberg 12 gauge pump-action. Ideal for home defense. ;-) When I bought it I told the salesdude I wanted something I could POINT (not aim) towards the front door and have a spray pattern that would span the width of the door from a distance of about 10 feet. He told me that this gun, with the right ammo, would take the door off of its hinges from that distance. I'm sure he exaggerated some, but it does make some pretty nasty carnage, and will come close to breaking your hand or at least feeling like it if you try to be "cool" and shoot it while only holding onto it with one hand by the rearmost pistol grip. OUCH! I've never missed my target (all of them have been inanimate) with this gun. heh heh It's the ultimate in "point-and-click." :-D It makes a wicked sound when you rack it. Remind me and I'll record the sound with the microphone thingie built into this laptop and then post a link to the wav. :-)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Oh yeah, the name of the model is "The Persuader." heh heh

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:39:55 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Yep, I have the same shotgun.

Randy

RSMEINER

"travis" wrote

Tell that. A pump has a very distinctive sound that will make someone, who is trying to sneak up on you at 3:30am while you're camped on the riverbank, identify themselves *very* quickly. BTDT. I used to have that exact same model.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

I have to differ. What good is an unloaded weapon? Keep a round in the chamber. Don't give them warning. Theatrics isn't what it's all about. It's about keeping your life and your family's life. Persons new to self defense and firearms might want to read "HIt the White Part" and "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. It's a serious and daunting prospect. Life ain't TV.

Now, on to ACVWs maybe?

Reply to
J Stafford

Mmm. Ok. Have to remember that these guys are from a country where it is quite normal to rack a shotgun when they hear something moving. Otherwise this all would sound a little "odd".

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:50:46 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

If I was camped out in the winderness and heard someone approaching my campsite at 3:30 am then I would assume the worst instead of "trusting my fellow man." I see nothing at all odd about preparing to defend yourself if you're in a situation like that, and I think that racking the gun as an initial warning rather than "warning" them by shooting at them is a good idea, just in case they happen to be someone not intent on doing you harm. Scott, who did it turn out to be? Would it have been better if you'd already had the shotgun racked and just opened fire at them? (Added "OT" to the subject for those who don't want to read the off-topic thread.)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

"Olli Lammi" wrote

Like John said, life ain't TV ... or the movies. :o) Everybody in the USA doesn't run around waving handguns or racking shotguns as many people outside the USA seem to believe. But I can see how anyone watching US made movies or television shows (or reading RAMVA :o) might be led to believe that. I wouldn't call it "quite normal" but if I'm camped on the river, well away from everything, I will have protection with me .... as my friends and I did that night.

Again, to quote John ... back to ACVWs?

:o)

Reply to
Scott H.

That is the difference. Here where I live, I would not assume the worst and start by grabbing fire arms.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:20:41 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I'm talking about out in the woods far from where you'd normally expect to run into anyone, not "where I live." Assuming the worst is the safest thing to do. I guess y'all don't have any "bad people" where you live? Crime rate is 0%, eh? No, it isn't. If the worst did happen to me while camping (somebody tried to rob/kill me, whatever) I'd have a much better chance of getting out of that situation untouched with a loaded shotgun in my hands than without. If the worst happened to you in the same situation with your philosphy (don't assume the worst) you'd have a much better chance of winding up dead. Why *not* play it safe? Do you wear a seatbelt?

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

"travis" wrote

Exactly. And I do agree with John about "a round in the chamber". Counting the one that was racked, there were two shotguns and three handguns at hand (there were five of us there). So there was no shortage of chambered rounds.

Sheesh, that does make us sound like the wild wild west now, doesn't it? :o)

An idiot cousin of one of the guys that was camping with us. He thought it'd be really funny to try to scare us. But he wasn't too good with the `sneaking' part.

Of course we both know the answer to that is no. That was the purpose of asking him to identify himself. He was told he had one more chance then the shotgun was racked to prove the point.

Reply to
Scott H.

"Olli Lammi" wrote

It is unfortunate that we have to assume the worst. Don't let this thread make you think I'm a fan of violence because I certainly am not. I detest violence but there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

To quote John Spohn: Fweem

:o)

Reply to
Scott H.

Crime rate is not 0. True. However if I go camping in the woods where I won't expect to run into anyone, I dont assume to get robbed or killed either.

Ok. I believe that is the case in your perspective. In my perspective, where I live, that is not the case. I dont feel it necessary to be able to defend myself with a firearm against other people. I dont feel my life threatened when I see people I dont know until they have identified theirselves. I dont know if I am stupid, but I dont feel that I have to be afraid of other people by default. That just is the way here.

The worst I would expect camping in the woods would be some animal like a bear to get too interested in my stuff. I dont think any normal camper here would take a firearm with them to protect themselves against other people. Maybe one for hunting purposes, but nothing else. I always carry a knife ("puukko", Marttiini made) in the woods. I dont carry it for defense but for everything else you need or might need to do in the woods.

(And soon Jan will tell us that he usually has two sawed pump shotguns under his jacket just in case...)

I do always wear the seat belt. So used to it that it feels really like something was missing if it is not on.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:00:20 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Well that's all I'm saying. I'm sure you don't assume you're going to get in a wreck every time you get in your car, but you have 2 options anyway. Wear a seatbelt because you know that even if it probably won't happen, it could happen and you'd be safer with the seatbelt, or take the risk, no matter how small of a risk it is, and don't wear the seatbelt. I don't assume I'm going to get robbed/killed whenever I go camping, either. If I was that paranoid then it would be no fun. I just realize that there are bad people in the world, and if I have to meet them in the middle of nowhere then I want a loaded gun in my hand, just like you realize that accidents do happen while driving and prefer to have your seatbelt on. Just in case.