It's dead, Jim....

As it was about =A31k all in fitted, you level of self inflatation appears= =20 to be contagious.

But, as discussed previously, I'm considering all the options of late=20 model mechanical diesel injection cars//4x4/mpvs known to run on high=20 percentage chip fat since the change in the law, compared to getting the=20 work done.

It is possible to buy 1000 litres of non food grade clean new veg oil=20 for between =A3300 and =A3500. A lockup would be about =A315 a week to stor= e=20 it. Even with that fee, it would still be a substantial saving mixing=20 veg oil and pump diesel over just diesel.

As I say, haven't decided yet. Old mercs are commonly used but snapped up as soon as they appear. sSangYongs are veg compatible and use merc parts, are very cheap but=20 have some common faults and autos are common on diesel. Delicas hold their price as do Pajeros And Estima Lucida/Eminas can have cooling problems. Old Fronteras are cheap but slow and no autos.

There is a P reg sSangYong near me at a back street garage with MOT=20 until May and 60k on the clock for =A3995 but it is a manual and I don't=20 think it is a turbo so pretty slow. Now that would be an ideal chippy=20 burner if it was auto.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Feeder-Dove Grey Sands

Elder

As it was about £1k all in fitted, you level of self inflatation appears to be contagious.

But, as discussed previously, I'm considering all the options of late model mechanical diesel injection cars//4x4/mpvs known to run on high percentage chip fat since the change in the law, compared to getting the work done.

It is possible to buy 1000 litres of non food grade clean new veg oil for between £300 and £500. A lockup would be about £15 a week to store it. Even with that fee, it would still be a substantial saving mixing veg oil and pump diesel over just diesel.

As I say, haven't decided yet. Old mercs are commonly used but snapped up as soon as they appear. sSangYongs are veg compatible and use merc parts, are very cheap but have some common faults and autos are common on diesel. Delicas hold their price as do Pajeros And Estima Lucida/Eminas can have cooling problems. Old Fronteras are cheap but slow and no autos.

There is a P reg sSangYong near me at a back street garage with MOT until May and 60k on the clock for £995 but it is a manual and I don't think it is a turbo so pretty slow. Now that would be an ideal chippy burner if it was auto.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Burning is the appropriate thing to do to a SsangYong. Are you actually blind?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's highly likely to be an off the shelf part, rather than a VAG specific one, as it's only a very basic lifter pump for the tank.

Exactly the same as the coil packs and the AFMs.

Reply to
SteveH

And? It doesn't excuse the manufacturer from testing the component.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't really care if Toyota have a super reliable fuel pump that's guaranteed to last a million miles....

All that reliability means nothing if the car has all the driver appeal of a 1979 Lada Riva.

No, scratch that, the Lada would be infinitely more interesting to drive.

An Avensis is a domestic appliance, not a car.

Reply to
SteveH

So is a Passat. Only in this case it seems it's the Amstrad[1] of the domestic appliance world.

[1] Oh yes they do, and IIRC your employer sells their domestic appliances in Krautland.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Does the Amstrad brand have premium connotations? Did it ever? I'm not trying to be cheeky.

The VW brand nowadays for me stands for something which isn't necessarily poor, but something which really isn't as good as they'd have you believe. More like Bose perhaps.

Is it the same way Currys and Dixons sell generic crap as Bush and Grundig branded products though? Names that meant good quality to my (now decesed) grandparents but are now just a way of selling junk with bigger margins?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The perfect rep mobile. Try one you might like it.

Reply to
Elder

For the intended purpose the are perfect, to burn veggie oil, and be cheap to fix if you do too much oil.

Doesn't have to be pretty, or classy, or fast. Just capable of driving on waste fuel.

Reply to
Elder

I quite like them. the Musso is quite shogun like, the korando looks like a cross between a jeep cj and an M class, and the rexton is definatley running stolen dna from the lexus LX.

Reply to
Elder

They're Japanese, that's more than enough reason not to try one.

I'm waiting for the promised Subaru diesel 'boxer' - might be the first interesting oil burner to come out of the far East.

Reply to
SteveH

You should be sectioned under the mental health act for your own protection.

Reply to
SteveH

The 2.2 Diesel Accords and Civics are meant to be pretty sweet these days.

Reply to
Iridium

I said 'interesting' not technically competent.

The Civic looks s**te, despite all the hype surrounding the launch and that interior would drive me insane.

The Accord is just an Accord. Typically Japanese big saloon. I suffered enough of those when I was a kid.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah I see, nasty man abuses boy so all men are abusers, so boy grows up to be an abuser.

Except your hatred of jap cars stems from childhood trauma. Figures. No point in trying to convert someone with phobic reaction.

Reply to
Elder

No, and neither has VW ever been a premium brand. It's an ex-nazi "cheapest possible cost with a rip-off sales model" company established to provide cheap, basic transport.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think the Korando is the only one that's worth thinking about. It looks like shit but it's a fairly decent 4x4. The only problem is that the "Mercedes" diesel isn't really a Mercedes and it's a real slug. The

2.3 petrol has just enough poke but it's horribly expensive to run.

The best SSang Yong is the Chairman:

And that's still s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The diesel Accord is quite remarkable, much better than the Passat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And made to work by an English bloke.

Reply to