Life update.

For me it's the best part to live in. Close enough to the city, very close to a decent beach, good transport links and if I go to the beach and turn left, it's lovely coastline all the way down to Sorrento. Still see a few hookers plying their trade (they were harder to spot when the weather was still hot because most women seemed to be walking around naked). I don't see many yuppies about but there are plenty elsewhere in Melbourne, like South Yarra for example. I saw more yuppies in Perth, or was I mistaking Cashed up Bogans for yuppies?

I've not been to the Espy yet, there are loads of excellent places to get pissed round here!

Reply to
fishman

Tssk, pedal in middle of three available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

heh...

ABS prevents locking, otherwise it would have been a big slide into the object...

Hitting the pedal on the left would have been funny though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

For me it's the best part to live in. Close enough to the city, very close to a decent beach, good transport links and if I go to the beach and turn left, it's lovely coastline all the way down to Sorrento. Still see a few hookers plying their trade (they were harder to spot when the weather was still hot because most women seemed to be walking around naked). I don't see many yuppies about but there are plenty elsewhere in Melbourne, like South Yarra for example. I saw more yuppies in Perth, or was I mistaking Cashed up Bogans for yuppies?

I've not been to the Espy yet, there are loads of excellent places to get pissed round here!

Definitely more cashed up bogans in Perth. I can't believe you haven't been to the Espy. Have you been to Luna park?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah yes, along with those little plastic tag things still used to do up bread bags, the presence of Radio Rentals and Tandy shops, the actually quite good graffiti and countless other things in Australia, Luna Park takes me back to the 1980s :)

Reply to
fishman

Ah yes, along with those little plastic tag things still used to do up bread bags, the presence of Radio Rentals and Tandy shops, the actually quite good graffiti and countless other things in Australia, Luna Park takes me back to the 1980s :)

It's a great country. I just got back from Indonesia and I wouldn't move there for quids.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well, it was until the criminals moved in. I bet the owners wish they'd had a proper immigration policy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Immigration policy was spears and boomerangs. And a look of incredulity :) Epic fail.

Reply to
fishman

Still got the IS, still working for the same firm. Done one or two niggle jobs on the house, but basically leaving it as it is at the moment because it is just somewhere to crash between work.

Been seeing a young lady in Blackpool since February so my fuel mileage gets an additonal 100 miles every other weekend, sometimes every weekend.

I'm in the middle of building a cigar box guitar so I can teach myself to play 3 string slide blues.

I'm looking for something daft, cheap RWD to play with. So far considering a hearse, a Volvo 340, or an MX5 all for different reasons.

Reply to
Elder

I just mis-read "hearse" as "horse".

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I'd suggest an SD1 V8, but there aren't many cheap ones left (and the two I've got aren't for sale).

Reply to
Pete M

I must've missed something, you got somewhere? Congrats!

Good for ya! If it's got breasts or an engine, it's gonna cost you... in this case, double cos you need the engine to get to the breasts :)

Daft RWD barges aplenty over here :) Banger money is a bit higher in Oz though. That said, we can live *comfortably* on one wage so once I get working that'll be immeterial :D

Reply to
fishman

Yes, would love one of those after the Ashes to Ashes guest appearance.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah, picked up a 1 bed plus converted loft (can't call it a 2nd bed as no building regs) terraced house repo for =A343k. Completed first week of Fenruary and moved straight in.

Bit scruffy but pretty solid. Not done much to other fill some plaster cracks. Off in a week or so, so have a bit of rendering round to doors to re-instate as they never got done after the double glazing frames were fitted.

I know, even considered something RWD and diesel. But that tends to limit me to old and slow, or newish and expensive.

You jammy sod.

Reply to
Elder

That one is what they call a "Vandentesse", a bit like my '82 one. It's an early S2 VdP fitted with the later EFi engine and wheels. I think it had a Vitesse trim as well, but the chap who's got it has put the leather trim back in.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure D.Plowman Esq will correct me if I am.

Reply to
Pete M

Off street parking? Got any plans for cool things to do with the loft conversion?

LPG? I remember seeing cheap LPG Vauxhall Senators etc.

I feel lucky :D But there's a serious point there, cars seem to depreciate a lot, lot slower here and mileage of secondhand cars is higher (bigger country) and motorbikes significantly so (ridable weather more often). Also, anything posh and imported is ridiculously costly here, for example I saw a nine year old Ferrari 360 for sale here for about what it would have cost new in the uk! Even to drive basic Beemers and Mercs you have to be pretty wealthy and once you're in 5-series territory you need really deep pockets. A bit like it used to be in the UK before the 1990s before German badges became affordable and killed the big Ford Scorpio/Vauxhall Senator, Omega... I see a theme developing here - oh and hot Fords are still called XRn :) BTW Omega is the name of the pov-spec Commodore and Senator is used for one of the upmarket HSV V8 beasts. Imagine a luxobarge VXR8. Google it - quite nice looking cars actually.

I digress but anyway a result of the above is that my Porsche owning dreams are a bit less realistic now than they were but there's plenty here to make up for that.

Reply to
fishman

If only they had invented gunpowder. Or the wheel.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Cheap LPG usually means rubbish installation, lots of problems.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If they had, there'd be a lot less of the pristine, unspoilt landscape that contribute to making this such a great place!

Reply to
fishman

Well, there is the usual service alley way to rear of the house where the bin wagons collect, used that for a couple of weeks.

But someone one managed to get into the car without doing any damage or setting of the alarm. Had a rummage around and left it.

So now I park in the street at the front along with a couple of Mercs and Beemers.

Reply to
Elder