Now that's just irritating

Given the mileage on the Ford, I've decided to rebuild the front brakes and bearings "just in case" I got most of the parts in the UK, two hubs, new brake disks, all new bolts and screws to replace the ones that mechanics have mashed over the years and from America new brake calipers.

I decided on the calipers because on the old ones the pistons are looking in poor conditions and they're cheap (less than $30 each). And now with a long weekend ahead using the USPS tracking system I can see that the package has been sat in Customs at Coventry for three days. Bastards.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What Ford is this Steve? I've not been paying attention to the froup lately.

Reply to
Conor

The Exploder, currently way over 200,000 miles.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What's the head and leg room like in one of those? Suitable for someone who is 2 metres tall?

Reply to
David Paste

Probably. I'm 1.85 metres tall, if I'm wearing a hat I don't have to take it off to get in the car. The only sensible advice though is to try it for yourself.

With an import, no problem at all. The later ones have adjustable pedal boxes and can have the steering wheel adjusted for reach and rake. They also have superior coils all round suspension and they did away with the expensive rear air-lift suspension.

I've not found any problem with leg room and the Ford is way better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee for head, hip and leg room. OTOH the Jeep seats are slightly better with good lumbar support. The Ford seats are flat and don't have the lateral support of the Jeep seats.

Where one could complain about leg room is the width. The transmission tunnel is large and there's not a lot of room to shake your left leg. Cruise control does mean that you can take both feet off the pedals and get some movement into your legs during long drives.

Where the Ford wins over the Chrysler alternatives for me is the huge interior space by comparison. The Ford seats up has as much rear cargo space as the Grand Cherokee seats down. The Ford seats fold flat the Jeep seats don't. The Ford also has much better steering and road holding than the Jeep, which is frankly dreadful on-road compared to the Ford. The Jeep is also sloooooowwwww whereas even the 4.0 Exploder flies along and the Ford engine is much better matched to a superior gearbox to the one used on the Jeep. The other vehicle that I'd consider is the GMC Yukon, which is better on fuel than the Exploder, has a better interior and generally has a nicer ambience. The Yukon is a Pimp favourite so it costs much more and I'm not sure that its handling is up to much.

I'd say it's worth a test drive if you're thinking of buying an Explorer. That should decide matters pretty quickly. Spares are mostly cheap, but some are impossible to find such as the three bolts that secure the hubs to the steering knuckle. I seem to have cornered the world market in those because I had to buy a box of 70 in order to get the 12 I needed.

One enterprising local Ford dealer tried to sell me hub nuts for £45 each. I suggested sex and travel.

Reply to
Steve Firth
[snip]

Thanks for the info, Steve.