looks a better than the other 924 posted recently.

Right colour. Decent bit of ticket Looks like one small split on the drivers squab that could easily be stitched. As long as it goes, stops and lights up at night it might be fun.

Reply to
Elder

shame the insurance cost more than the car.

Reply to
banjo

Most people slag off the old bottom of the rung 924 - never having driven one.

They're mostly wrong.

The steering is uncorrputed by having to transmit power.

The engine has old school constant flow injection and a rawness about it that can be found in few other places. If you've ever driven a BMW 2002tii you'll know what I mean as the power is delivered in a similar way. Reasonably grunty in a SOHC 2.0 8 valve sort of way. Most people haven't driven one of them either, so still won't know what I'm talking about.

It's easy to slag off the 924 - and we've all heard the Audi / VW van bit - but they're great fun if you actually try one.

I don't have one right now, but I've had two and 'get it'.

Bought at the right price, they're a very wise decision.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ewww, those wheels...

Reply to
Clive George

I've wanted one. But I like a larger car, so have avoided joining the porsche club so far.

Reply to
Elder

Not just me then?

Reply to
Conor

I've spent a lot more on insurance than I have on actually buying cars.

I've spent a lot more on petrol than I have on actually buying cars.

Blowing up/damaging the cars didn't matter a f*ck, because the absolute bottom resale value is ~£50 (in scrap). Fuel costs were probably less than some people lose in the same period in depreciation.

I've had a belly laugh.

Personally, I'm not ashamed. I do fancy owning a cheap Porsche at some point.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The wheels are a nightmare.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Shame about the chav wheels.

Which probably tells you something about at least one of the previous owners.

Reply to
SteveH

The 924's are not bad, but the one in the Ebay-auction is.

The standard 2liter 924 has iirc 105 HP, it wasn't a bullet when launched, it ain't one now. The one's to have are the 2.5 liter (because you can bolt the 944 goodies on it) or the 924 turbo.

Remember however that a 25 year old car Porsche made on a budget, is 25 years old, has still some labels with "Porsche" on it (the rear bulb on which the demistifier is garanteed not to work etc).

Get a 944: it's better, there are more around (also more versions), you can get a "cheap" engines with some real Porsche power in it, special parts are easily available for fish and chips money (if you know where to look). The build quality is day and night.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Is that cockney rhyming slang for 's**te'?

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Taste and mechanical sympathy do not necessarily go hand in hand. I know a guy who has made sure his car has passed every MOT spot, recieved every service necessary, and had engineers reports for the mods. It is a 2 litre Nova 3 door hatch made out of the VX parts bin with 17" wheels and each tyre that cost more than the car is worth. It is several shades of fade, and looks as rough as a bears arse. But it is totally solid.

If you saw a faded multicoloured Nova 3 door with a dustbin exhaust and

17" alloys you would probably think 17 year old unemployed, uninsured driver with a rusting deathtrap MOT failure on overpriced wheels. But he is close to my age, married, 3 kids, works for an insurance company, still pays a fair whack for the insurance but gets a good deal on the mods. He was going to I.C.E it up and pay for a mega bucks flippy paint job, but his 3rd Kid arrived so now he drives a sheddy looking Nova.
Reply to
Elder

I suppose so but hey: it's been quite some time since I worked in heavy haulage and on oilrigs. My English might have taken a turn for the worse since.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Heh, no worries.

Just not seen that one used before was all. :-)

Reply to
jackhackettuk