Suzuki Vitara

Anyone know much about these?

My sister is after a new car, because she's basically wrecked the 205 I bought her 18 months ago. She works with horses and so generally carts a load of gear around down bumpy, muddy tracks and she has very litte mechanical sympathy, so I was after something a bit more rugged. I've been looking at small ish hatchbacks again for her, but then saw a Vitara on Retro Rides for £750. A quick ebay reveals could can get them for a fair bit less than this!

So what they like? Hopefully fairly reliable being Jap, but does rust hit them? ISTR the other less-pansy model (SJ?) being fairly decent off road - do the Vitara have the same mechanicals? It wont be doing any serious off roading, but as long as it can cope with a few bumps and has decent ground clearance that'd be good. On road handling and performance not really important, as long as it goes and stops ok!

Can you think of anything else that would be suitable?

Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Aye - they rot quite badly underneath.

SJ was 1.0 or 1.3 - it was good off-road because like the original Panda 4x4, whilst not particularly powerful, it was light on its feet and didn't get bogged down.

The older Vitaras were 1.6 - later on, they brought out a 2.0V6 (and some other variants such as a diesel), in the 'Grand Vitara' guise.

I doubt any would be as handy off-road as an SJ.

Daihatsu Fourtrak / Sportrak, if it's a 4x4 your sis specifically wants.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Aye - they rot quite badly underneath.

SJ was 1.0 or 1.3 - it was good off-road because like the original Panda 4x4, whilst not particularly powerful, it was light on its feet and didn't get bogged down.

The older Vitaras were 1.6 - later on, they brought out a 2.0V6 (and some other variants such as a diesel), in the 'Grand Vitara' guise.

I doubt any would be as handy off-road as an SJ.

Daihatsu Fourtrak / Sportrak, if it's a 4x4 your sis specifically wants.

Not necessarily a 4x4. Something a bit more rugged than a 205 with maybe a bit more ground clearance would be nice. And of course a bit of street cred, which I think the Vitaras just about have in her opinion (esp the soft top). Will have a looksie at the Daihatsus though

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"...the possibilities are endless." ;-)

What's the max budget? =A0

=2E.."and the moon on a stick" ;-)

Vitaras... noticed how you don't see many now yet they used to be everywhere?

They're all getting on a bit, all rotting away.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Sir is getting confused with Land Rovers, you may find some surface rust tho anything still running that has not been used offroad should be okay. My old man has a £500 quid special for going to the tip, not a spot of rust on it.

Get Efi if you can the Asin carbs are s**te (tho you can get bolt on SU conversion kits) beware of gearbox grumbles, quite common for gear lever to be vague 30 second job to tighten the locating bolt.

Other then that just the general second hard checks.

SJ boys tend to buy them for engine swaps so you may find a good example with no engine, 1300 engines are cheap as chips.

Reply to
Geoff

Yep- my sis-in-law had one. Looked fine on top, went well, stopped well (for what it was). Failed with a spectacular amount of rust on the 2nd MOT she owned it for, having flown through the first.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Gripped, sorted, lets offroad.

Now they are old and cheap, they are one of the serious offroader's tool of choice.

Reply to
Elder

No they're not.

A 'serious offroader' will have an old skool stylee Land Rover, invariably kitted with with a high mount air intake etc.

I'd reckon my chances to be much higher at getting anywhere off road in a Fourtrak or SJ, than a tarts handbag like the Vitara.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

No they're not.

A 'serious offroader' will have an old skool stylee Land Rover, invariably kitted with with a high mount air intake etc.

I'd reckon my chances to be much higher at getting anywhere off road in a Fourtrak or SJ, than a tarts handbag like the Vitara.

Actually, place just down the road, Langdale Quest in Dalby Forest exclusively uses s**te old Suzuki things - guy reckons they're the best for the job, and having been round it, and seen them going down the 'Red' trail - I agree heh. It's got some hardcore inclines, and lots of deep water etc. They're not modded either bar a few safety bits, rollcages and stuff.

Reply to
Iridium

The vitara, and even the Jimny is the same as an SJ, just newer.

The offroad guys pull all the tart tat out and get a newer but just as handy offroad tool.

Reply to
Elder

They'll be SJs, which are bloody good off-road.

Vitaras, however, aren't.

Reply to
SteveH

No seriously, they have Vitaras as well.

Reply to
Iridium

Erm, isn't the Vitara coil-sprung and the SJ series leaf-sprung?

Very late SJs got coils, however, they were launched a long time after the Vitara.

Reply to
SteveH

Are you saying that leafs are better than coils offroad?

Dunno how much you have to pull off and stick on but I'm sure I've seen Vitaras do some quite funky offroad shit alongside SJs, bobtailed Rangies and Defender 90s.

Not Vitaras like you used to see with 12" wheel spacers, 3 spoke alloys, flared arches and pastel green with shiny metallic pink rhino decals. I'd take my MX-5 offroading before getting in one of them. These ones have chunky tyres and giant bungee tow ropes tied round the rollcages.

The Suzukis are lighter and shorter than Land Rovers on the whole which makes them ideal for offroading I think.

Cue Geoff to tell me why I am wrong. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, I'm just pointing out that they're not the same car.

So, if you radically mod. a Vitara, it can do stuff off-road that you could probably do with a completely unmodded Land-Rover or even an SJ?

Reply to
SteveH

If you radically mod a Vitara it will happily do some offroady things that a radically modified Land Rover let alone a standard one can't do. It will also be a lot cheaper to run and much fewer 1940s style parts like spligshafts and Windsorploff valves will break as a matter of course.

It won't have a V8 or have any chance of wangling tax exempt status, it'll be horrible to drive on the road and you can only tow tiny trailers full of gnat's testicles, and damn it lad, it's just not British. Which is why not all traditional Land Rover owners have switched. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

All I know is, when tyremonkey was flogging as many colways as we could order, it was Landy/Rangie buggies and SJ and Vitaras that were ordering the proper silly tyres like Atacamas and Aligators. The Difflock 4x4 forums seem to bear that out. I see an external caged vitara most days when I'm at the Reddish office, it is owned by one of the body men at a local motor body repair place on hyde road, near the Manchester academy.

Being pretty mechanically simple, cheap and made from common parts and materials means you can bend them then batter them back, break them the weld them, and still not need a nato fuel dump to get them home.

A lot of the seriously offroaded SJs are coiled now, some running GM shocks because the bodies are longer than the standard leaf units, but not as soft as pro comps.

Reply to
Elder

Leaf springs can be engineered to give you huge ammounts of suspension travel however they are fookin uncomfortable.

Coil spring SJ's are rare in the UK, tho you can get bolt on kits now.

You can get lift kits for IFS Vitara's tho you will find most of the serious ones have been converted to a live front axle.

There is no such thing as the perfect off road machine, it is all a matter of compromise, lighter Suzuki's are better in the mud, heavy Land Rovers are better on hill climbs, shorter Suzuki's are better in the woods tho going down a hill the rear wheels will lift and you will roll.

Best out of the box, Land Rover 90, then Suzuki Jimney, with mods then anything with live axles and shortish wheel base and no front or rear overhang.

Reply to
Geoff

Yes properly modified Vitara will easily out perform a standard 90 or SJ.

Reply to
Geoff

They are good out of the box and cheap, cheap is the key word here, look at the price a nackered TDi 90 on eBay and you will see what I mean.

Reply to
Geoff