Looks like I might be needing a cheap diesel hack about sooner than I thought.

And as my main ride, not as a fun chop and hack about. Just got called into a meeting, first day back after a week on holiday.

Got told that the company is cutting back, my job is one of those under risk of redundancy. One other guy in his probationary period already gone. The main client is doing more and more in house, so there are cut backs.

As far as I know, I'm the only only one with head on the block They offered me a position in the sister company call centre, and covering their IT, but it means a £1k a year pay cut, and 20minutes each way a day, and £5 a day extra in petrol, and things are tight as it is now I'm keeping things going on one wage.

Reply to
Elder

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:07:00 +0100, Elder spouted forth:

Balls. Sorry to hear that mate. I've been there 3 times in the last 4 years, it's totally shit..

Quite frankly, if it's there, for the time being, I'd take it. The market is total shit, despite what agencies would have you believe. I took a £7k pay cut to stay in work... things can be tight sometimes without dipping into savings, but I've still got a job. £1k a year equates to f*ck all per month less anyway..

Get a sheddy old Xantia TD, or you can have my old Pug 306 D for £250.. It'll need discs, pads, balljoints and lower arm bushes for the MOT though..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:07:00 +0100, Elder spouted forth:

Balls. Sorry to hear that mate. I've been there 3 times in the last 4 years, it's totally shit..

Quite frankly, if it's there, for the time being, I'd take it. The market is total shit, despite what agencies would have you believe. I took a £7k pay cut to stay in work... things can be tight sometimes without dipping into savings, but I've still got a job. £1k a year equates to f*ck all per month less anyway..

Get a sheddy old Xantia TD, or you can have my old Pug 306 D for £250.. It'll need discs, pads, balljoints and lower arm bushes for the MOT though..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:03:16 +0100, Pete M spouted forth:

Good call. The prices are going up. Get one with a Bosch pump, it'll run happily on straight veg unless it's about -15 outside..

It's even worse down here on the M4 corridor. I'm working for sharks at the moment, and TBH I'm seriously considering doing something else very shortly..

Not only that, they know f*ck all of real-world IT operations..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Indeed, and therein lies the reason why they're out of work. They want the money (though 50k is presumably poetic licence Pete?), but haven't got the experience.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

My 3rd time in 4 years too. Twice was in 6 months in 2006.

Found out that 2 other positions are at risk and mine is almost certain to go. Did some sums last night, pay cut is closer to =A32k than the =A31k they suggested. They offered me a salary level but failed to factor in the cost of living increases they have given each year.

Add to that an additional =A31750 a year in petrol roughly (would need to keep something that runs like a sewing machine for the distance done a day). Add in the 20mins each way taking me to at least an hour each way, so having to leave home much earlier, and fixed hours, just to be a call centre drone with occasional IT duties when required just isn't worth it. Not when there are other companies offering more outside of IT closer to home.

I'll bear the pug in mind. Is it a TD or NA?

Xantia does sound quite interesting, but I have this Tim sized Francophobia to get over.

Was thinking old man's Volvo 940 TD estate. Find one that granddad is retiring and has loved better than his wife, keep the oil and belts changed and fingers crossed. Would give me a motor than will run on the veggie stuff, and room to collect all the useful stuff I miss out on, on the local freegle. Might even become an antique dealer while I'm at it. some of the toys might even work.

Reply to
Elder

Actually he probably not far off the money. I'm self taught in my limited knowledge, and I have managed a max of

50% of that, but graduates think they can jump straight in, especially if they have funded themselves to the tune of several K's worth of Cisco or Microsoft certification along the way.
Reply to
Elder

The package is basically 3 months notice, + 3 weeks redundancy for the time I've been there, + any holiday/flexi hours I have left.

They said they haven't said whether it would be worked notice or lieue.

Taking the crappy job would make interviews difficult when I would need to keep taking time off for the hour drive back as I'm planning to work closer to home if possible.

Reply to
Elder

Call in sick, its only a crappy job.

Being out on your ear is worse. I think you know that.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Approach the client, sell yourself as the pathway to a seamless transition to in-house?

Don't panic-switch cars. IMPE it usually results in a cashflow problem that's causes more hassle than the cost savings are worth. And there's the better-the-devil-you-know factor. Better to keep with a reliable, slightly thirsty car than risk it all on some old shitebox. Especially that Volvo you mentioned - they aren't economical.

Good luck with keeping the job/finding alternative work. I know it's tough over there right now.

Reply to
fishman

What he said. Take the pay cut and start looking for another job. It is way easier to find a job if you already have one because to the potential employer it looks like you are already wanted.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Not that simple, they already have an IT team inhouse that I used to liase with (they have as much contact and all the decission making on the servers). We purchased the servers, installed them, and charged them to host in the rack. Until about 6 months ago, we did all their website development from a team of 8 developers.

Then they started recruiting, was originally man for man matching to build them upto 8 people, but just recently they have have a surge and now have a team of 25 people doing most of the big work and new development with us keeping the older stuff we built upto date.

They are now planning to move the servers away from us to a neutral location too. So, we lost the IT decission making a while ago, the development team has had it's position reduced, and they are planning to remove the IT hosting to another site.

From what I've heard, they pay even less the guys I work for, and like people who live local to make sure they are available 24/7.

I reckon if I get the tow ball dent taken out of the drivers door the car is worth a realistic £3k-£3250 private sale. With that I could get something diesel roomy and reliable for about £1-1.5k (not planning a £50 banger this time round). £1.5k in the bank is 5 months mortgage or there abouts. It isn't a panic sale, just something I've been thinking about hard. 30mpg is OK when there is the cash to put the fuel in. But it is due a service now, and as the rest is I want it documented. 40-

50mpg is better when I might be driving for interviews that I might not get. Throwing fuel at the wind is OK when you can replace it.

Xant/406/405/Merc E300 (yes I know it is slow)/BMW 525(yes I know it is old)/9-3 Tid 2.2 (slow noisy and only just more economical than petrol) or if desperate Volvo 7/9** (yes I know it is shit), or if one came up cheap enough, Saab 900 turbo petrol (I could high 30's driving like a loon) would save me enough and tend to be moderatley looked after if you pick them at the right time.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you're thinking c900 - then (IME) you've got about as much chance of getting "high 30s" from one as you have of finding a half-way decent one for a grand or so these days. If you're thinking NG, then - well, I'd probably get a diesel Xant...

Reply to
Adrian

If you're convinced it'll work out, at least go for something that'll be a decent amount more economical. No idea on an old E300, but a BMW 525TDS would be shit on fuel, and be barely more economical than the IS. I know they're not as comfy, but something VW with the 90/110 old-skool 1.9 TDI is going to be by far the best on fuel compared to anything French. Budget a small amount, 100 quid or so, to get some seats that'll be vaguely comfy. But don't get something leggy enough that it's bound to cause you grief, may as well stick with the IS.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I used to get 32-24 out of the Lucas equipped convertible, and 28-30 out of the old bosch equiped flat front with out any trouble. And I didn't hang around, as is common C900 owners as you know. I was fast, but smooth. That helped.

I've never worried about scruffy, it makes them cheaper, but it is amazing how many C900 owners let there cars get to slightly frilly round the edges, but keep them mechanically and structurally perfect then wonder why they aren't worth as much as a minter even now the prices have rocketed.

Reply to
Elder

I'm not yet totally convinced, just slowly being drawn to it. Was considering seeing how prices of TDi Octavia and Superbs have gone recently since the newer versions of each are now more than a couple of years old.

And ex cab star ship diesel Skodas can be picked up for peanuts with perfect service history for a couple of years old, with just wear and tear to the interior from never having a breather from having pastie munching lard arses sat in them. So maybe that is where I will start.

Reply to
Elder

If you haven't got a job to go to 5 or 50mpg makes no odds if your doing near to 0 miles.

If redundancy is looming, go looking for work now, before you have to.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Redundancy happened today. Already applying as said before in other branch.

Will need to do some driving for interviews etc. Haven't made up mind yet about car.

Reply to
Elder

I've just flogged a load of '07 and '57 plate Octavia TDis matching that very description. You'd be looking at £6500 for a nice one.

Reply to
Pete M

Bad news Carl.

Keep your feet moving and your eyes and ears open.

You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle