Umm, is this what I think it might be..... ?

Hi,

Astra 1.6 8v 51 reg belonging to friend.

Spotted what looks like mayo in the oil, the oil filler cap is a bit out of focus but is covered in it. No sign of mayo on the dipstick but I guess you wouldn't see it there anyway :)

This is the car I mentioned earlier having the overcooling issue btw.

If it is the head gasket going then will there be additional engine damage from not fixing it until it fails?

The reason I was looking at it was it has a chronic stalling when switching to idle problem just like an IACV issue but could it be a head gasket leak? The Haynes book really confused me as none of the relevant pictures matched up with anything!

Is this the IACV or equivalent and can you clean it out with carb cleaner? Also do you need a new gasket for it (the Haynes book for my Fiesta said yes to this but the old one was totally fine). I know they're pennies but fetching one will be inconvenient.

Position of this relative to other stuff:

Thanks again - this NG is a fantastic resource :)

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

"Peter Spikings" wrote

It's not "going", head gaskets are either liquid-proof or they aren't, and that one isn't. It has failed.

Basically, the sooner you get it fixed the less damage you are likely to cause- having said that I owned a car with a blown head gasket for two years in my younger, skinter days.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

If a car never warms up properly, or is only used for short journeys, you can get mayo in the oil the same as you would with a blown HG. I'd say as it's been running cool and it's knot a K series, I'd go and give it a good run and see if it clears up.

Reply to
Doki

OK.

It's not my car! I suspect that the owner may not be too willing to stump up for sorting it out properly so I was wondering what sort of effect continuing to use it will have on the engine.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

"Peter Spikings" wrote

I suspect that the owner may not be too willing to stump

Well, it will go on for quite a while. You will need to keep topping up the radiator with water and this will dilute the coolant meaning that a freezing winter might crack the engine block.

Also, the oil won't be very good at its job so wear will increase.

Possibly too the head will warp and cause leakage between the combustion cylinders and the oil or waterways and this will pretty much render it undriveable.

I wouldn't have thought it to be a very expensive fix if done early though.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

It does 150 - 200 motorway miles everyday..... As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I got a lift in it and noticed that the temp gauge was showing about 70 degrees (hovering on the extreme low end of the gauge) after 30-40 minutes driving.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Doki's hit the nail on the head. Most likely just condensation that's never really made it out the engine, as a side effect of the overcooling.

Reply to
moray

just because it has "mayo" in the oil filler cap it doesn't necessarily mean a head gasket has gone, the older type fiesta's suffer from the same problem, what your pic is showing is more then likely caused by condensation. try cleaning off, checking the oil & water level & keep an eye on it. you could always get your local garage to try a fluid block test on it, we charge a tenner, takes a lot of the guess work out of it, not sure if you know what it is but you can buy it on ebay

reg

Peter Spikings wrote in news:newscache$3ncpnj$1kl$1 @news.powernet.co.uk:

That's low. Does said friend actually boot the throttle or sit at 50? The pics show a pretty clean engine, and the "mayo" is pretty slight. Tell him to get it warm and then welly it for a bit, ie. accelerate up to just below the red line fast for a few times. That engine looks like it is pussy footed about the place.

Reply to
Tunku

OK... that seems like a reasonable explanation - there was no mayo in the expansion tank either. Thanks all.

Anyone want to have a crack at the other half of my query? :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Cruise at 70-80 I think. And it's "her" which might explain the "pussy footing" :D

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Ah yes, that part of the query.

Those pics are of the EGR valve.

These engines don't have a IACV as such. They've got a stepper motor built into the throttle body to operate the main throttle valve, as they're fly-by-wire, and it also gets used to control idle speed (no point having two valves when one will do)

Cleaning the main butterfly valve can work temporarily, but with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it'll improve things, sometimes no diference, and sometimes make it worse.

Best option is replacement.

Reply to
moray

Great stuff... I tried to find the throttle body but couldn't, I also couldn't see the accelerator cable. I assumed this meant that I'd need to get under the car to find them - but knowing now that it's fly-by-wire explains the lack of cable :) Where is it and is it just the motor that needs replacing?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings presented the following explanation :

That mayo does not look like enough to account for the amount of water being lost from the cooling system, so the HG might be OK after all. It is more what I would expect of an engine never getting properly up to temperature -as in short runs, or the thermostat stuck open.

Fit a new stat and I'll bet the mayo soon disappears. For the water leak you might try looking for it with the engine running - check especially around the water pump shaft, which can hide such leaks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's the bit sandwiched between the black inlet hose on the left of the pics, and the inlet manifold, with various hoses going onto it. Got to be replaced as a complete unit (the stepper motor is built in the crimped bit at the rear of the throttle body).

Reply to
moray

Peter Spikings wrote in news:newscache$6udpnj$1kl$1 @news.powernet.co.uk:

I think it is the same problem. Get the car hot and thrash it for a while. Cars like being exercised, not dribbled about the place. An Italian tune up will clear out the cobwebs.

Reply to
Tunku

ROTFL (at self).... Duh, where else would a throttle be but between the air filter and the manifold. My excuse is that I'm recovering from being ill and aren't yet thinking straight :)

Do you think this is doable by me (I'd rate myself as a 2.5 on the Haynes spanner scale though have done the odd 3 spanner job OK) or is it not worth the hassle?

Vauxhall screwed up btw (was taken there before I was consulted), they plugged it into the computer which apparently told them is was a problem with a fuel valve which they replaced and if anything has made the problem worse. Just to check I've diagnosed it right, the problem is that it stalls when the clutch is depressed during braking. At the moment she apparently has to keep her foot on the accelerator to keep the engine going while slowing down using the gears!!! She does that normally despite me telling her off but that really must punish the clutch!

It also stalls during gear changes on the motorway which scares her.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

You don't say if it uses or loses any water, which would be the case if the 'mayo' was the result of a blown h/g. If it doesn't use or lose water the mayo in the cap and valve cover is almost certainly caused by condensation. Even though it sounds unlikely with that sort of daily mileage. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Stalling when the throttle's closed and the clutch is down is a pretty sure sign that there's no air getting to the engine on idle. Had the exact same sympton on old Golfs. Fortunately, they've got a screw you can adjust...

Reply to
Doki