LPG Conversion finished

The difficult bits were easy.

The easy bits were actually quit tricky.

Fitting the tank and getting all the pipes into and out of it were trickier than I ever imagined. Drilling and tapping the manifold and doing all the wiring were a piece of cake. (Sequential injection)

Ignition....

Everyone had told me that my ignition system had to be spot on.

I thought it was.

It wasn't.

Parts which had run fine on petrol just couldn't do it with gas. So, seeing as my car is old enough in design to use a distributor, I have renewed everything from the dizzy out. Rotor, cap, leads and plugs. Only now does it run perfect, previously it wouldn't take wide open throttle at low revs, which is the real driveability bit of any engine's power delivery.

Not sure about mileage yet, but it seems fine so far.

So, there you go, a rare real modification from me.

Now for the Sylva - Zetec / ZX10 ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Bob Sherunckle, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

LPG is brilliant. I['m a bit gutted at the moment that none of my cars are LPG powered.

The Rangie would be a nightmare to LPG with having the extra injectors and turbo pipework everywhere already Fitting gas injectors as well would be taking the piss.. The Golf doesn't need LPG, and the Scorpio just isn't LPG.

Reply to
Pete M

What car's it on? How long did it take, and what did it end up costing?

Reply to
Doki

It's on a Golf 1.6 (A devastatingly effective and yet wobbly cross country uber cabrio) It took me about a week all in - because I messed about with ignition instead of just renewing it all as a matter of course. Were I to do another, I would have all new HT components pre bought as part of the installation. Having said that, I took an inordinate amount of time in the planning, thinking and generally obssessing about the whole project. I do think it was worth it though, because I managed to install a tank into a space that it shouldn't have fitted into, and I got the injectors into an ever smaller and less accessible space where existing fuel injection and spark plugs were already having a cosy time to themselves.

You could do it in between two and three days though, but you need the use of a garage with ramp or pit for the running of lines and mounting the tank. Everything else can be kerbside motors ltd.

Kit cost 400 Tank cost 120 M8x1.25 combined tap drill cost a tenner. Sundries cost about another 50 quid.

Certainly under 600 all in, which won't take long to pay back. Cheapest I have seen the same system supplied, fitted and mapped is £1200. Not a backfiretastic mixer system remember. I got the software and the lead with the kit and mapping is so simple its laughable.

The single most important aspect of DIY is that I know what kit is fitted and how significant or not each component is.

If you hate diesel, you would be daft not to at least consider it.

That is all.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

What are they actually like? My mum's been sniffing round one.

What do the lines consist of? Hard lines like brakes?

I see. Are the Insurance happy with a self installed system?

Reply to
Doki

Great hood, wobbly chassis.

Thick walled soft copper with rubber coating.

Some care a great deal. Some care a bit. Some don't give a stuff.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

What kit? Linky please.

Reply to
Peter Hill

This one

Really quite easy to fit - my car did it's best to spit the whole idea out by not really having a brilliant place for the tank but I managed, they're getting along fine now.

Setup was incredibly easy once I actually accepted the fact that your HT system really must be no less than 100% good.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle