Maybe my old Pug wants to die?

Hi guys,

dunno if anyone remembers my posts regarding the motionless state of my

305 - here's the latest news:

I decided to get a cheap set of second hand injectors off a 205 GTi to try to get the car running again. I was pretty sure that it was just the injectors causing the problem, seeing as I had fuel pumping round the system but nothing was coming out of them. So, off with the fuel rail, swap the injectors, charge the battery overnight, shove it all back on and whaddya know? It still won't start. First off I found a leak in one of the fuel hoses - forcing air out but no fuel. Bought a new hose. Still nothing. I'm not getting any fuel around the system whatsoever. Now, I've never really entirely understood how this electric fuel pump system works - it always seemed pretty odd to me so maybe if someone can explain what's going on it might help. Basically, if there is a leak in the system up around by the fuel rail, the fuel pump doesn't pump any fuel. It seems like it needs to build up pressure before it can force the fuel up the pipe to the top of the engine. Thus, if I took a hose off from near the fuel rail, all I could ever feel was some air coming out of the pipe. However, if I held my thumb over the end of the pipe and ran the fuel pump for 15 seconds or so, pressure would have built up in the system and when I removed my thumb, fuel would come spurting out. I guess this has something to do with syphoning and the fact that the pump has to push the fuel up to the top of the engine bay, but what I don't understand is why it's not working at all now. Even if I allow pressure to build up, all I ever get is a load of air under pressure and no fuel. I'm probably going to attempt tomorrow. First thing I can think to try is to bypass the fuel pump relay and get the pump running by itself for a minute or longer and just see if I can get ANY fuel pressure in the system whatsoever - maybe the fact that it's been standing for so long, part of the time with the fuel rail removed has some bearing on the problem? Only thing I do know is that a couple of years back I let the fuel pump run dry of petrol and it made the most horrendous screeching noise. Now, it's not making that noise at the moment, so I assume it probably does have petrol in the pump, it's just not going far enough. Maybe the pump's knackered?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B