modding cars

hey everyone ive just started really thinking about modding a car hopefully an MK4 how did you all get in to modding cars i dont just mean liking them i mean how did you get to know how to tune and style your cars did you just get a book or something

Reply to
Dofus

A MkIV what?

Cortina?

Reply to
SteveH

My bets are on the Escrot Mk4.. or possibly the Spagthorpe Bologna Mk4b

Reply to
Pete M

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Or even the slightly rarer Uberflange Stigmata. And anyone who attempts that deserves a medal for bravery, both for the complexity of custom machining it is going to require to to parts being made to fit Metrinch fittings and spacing, and mobody has tried that since the fall of the berlin wall, and all the East German engineers said "Fuck how did we get it so wrong, bugger that for a game of tinpot dictators" and went back to good old fashion AF Whitworth to fit in with other technology of equivalent advancement, and also because of the roasting he is going to get from the true classic buffs, the Duke of edinburgh included, is known to be a life long member of the Uberflange invaders, the official owners club and raiding party.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It never fails to amaze me the people who buy a car for its looks/image/apparant value .... then decide it ain't fast enough so they then start modifying it.

Isn't it better to start with something light, then add big bhp ... sort of getting a head start on things???

Or at the very least, do more research instead of buying on impulse.

Reply to
SDD

Well, things that are very light are usually shit, and don't have all the mod cons people want nowadays. Unless of course you have space for 2 cars.....

Well theres nothing wrong with wanting something that looks nice and goes well, but its people that buy the base model and then try and make it quicker that are daft. They end up spending more than the cost of the decent model and its insurance etc on making their pov spec machine nearly as quick.

Reply to
Dan405

BIG SHOUT OUT 2 DA AGRO CAR MOB POSSY!!

hay man wot id do is first to loose all grasp of the English langwadj, espesially gramar and puntuasion. Then youl fit in nisely on a newsgroupe popullated by like minded car moddifyers wid similar educattional defisiensies. but yore almost their so good

then wot id do is developp an agresive, combativ and confrontasional atitude, talegating anywon drivving at less than 2x the legal limmit, paying litle regard to otha rode usars like pededdedstrians and syclists and going into a violent rage evary time somewan pulls out less than 150 yards in front of U.

Hay boyee no point in havving a moddifid car if you dont no how to drive it!!!!!!!

Reply to
ASBO BOYEE

I think you'll find that many get what mummy and daddy give them, usually what the parents see as a "safe" car[1]. Then they realise that the bog-standard Reginald MoleHusbandMobile has as much bird-pulling power as a dose of the clap.

So they try to make it more desireable.

[1] I know someone who against all advice to the contrary bought her child a Corsa, because it was "safe". The child died in a horrific road crash (no other car involved) and now the parent is an agitator for more restrictive road legislation. At no point does it appear to connect with her consciousness that had the child been driving a decent car (say a Laguna, Mondeo, Scenic or WHY) that the cild would probably still be alive. Such parents look only at the engine size "it's a 1200 what harm could they come to?" and never at the NCAP test rating.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Should of bought them a Jag and it would be sitting in the driveway leaking oil and not running. One very alive and pissed off child.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Hay man what an iddiot for that womman to think that their mite be a link between how U drive a car and how U mite die in a car. I meen, why isnt the stuppid womman campaining for manditory issuing of 12 ton Mistubishi Shotguns to everyone over tha age of 10 and tha creation of more inter-village motorways.

NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT.

Reply to
ASBO BOYEE

Are Corsas particularly crap or something? I'm absolutely amazed at how strong the Ka's body is, but thankfully it didn't hit anything of substance.

Reply to
Doki

Well, and i'm not saying Corsa's aren't particulary crap, but for all we know, he could've done 100mph into a huge brick wall...

Reply to
Dan405

Yup, you don't want to hit anything more substantial than bog paper in a Corsa.

Reply to
Steve Firth

She, hedge.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Jesus. What kind of hedge? They do slow cars down much quicker than the brakes can, but not enough to write off the car and see for whoever's driving, surely?

Reply to
Doki

Quickthorn. Fairly standard hedging round where I live. Same area has claimed seven bikers over the past couple of years so there's obviously something going on.

It's a NSL so it would be charitable to assume she was doing 60ish. I had a crash 22 years ago into a quickthorn hedge at that speed, totalled the car and fractured my skull.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have to dodge flies with my citroen ax. If there is anything else as flimsy and weak as my ax, i'd be amazed. ...... And then annoyed that i didn't buy one to do some big bhp work on.

I had a stone hit my bonnet once, the bounce up and hit the windscreen. The bonnet now has a dent ... the windscreen doesn't .... therefore the windscreen is the strongest part of my car (yes and i believe those rac autoglass adverts!!)

Reply to
SDD

Fiat Cinquecento.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Depends on the hedge, but these questions end up as whether the car will stop in a short distance. I can believe some types of hedge work rather like trees.

Reply to
Questions

Reliant Kitten.

Reply to