Modifying 1/18 scale models....

...anyone here into it? I've got a collection of 5 or 6 Opel Manta's in

1/18th. Some are too good to mess with but there are a couple I want to modify, i.e paint/different wheels/lower/etc etc.

There seems to be loads of stuff on the german ebay, but a total dearth of anything here in the uk. I don't know much about it tbh, anyone got any tips/websites/help they can give?

Reply to
tomScotland

Abo

Sounds interesting. I'm into nitro buggys which is basically a model car with an engine which can be "hopped up" with better performance parts, wheels, a zillion other parts. I think I spend more on this hobby than owning an actual car.

I think you might be interested in it as theres must tinkering and building involved.

I don't race it just like the thrash it about down the park every now and then.

I get all my bits and pieces from a site\company called modelsport, I think off the top of the noggin their site is

they have a great forum too which just helped me out with a clutch problem.

Good luck with your hobby :-)

Reply to
Maxi

"Maxi" wrote in message news:gaqlsi$p0e$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

Also check out the forums on

as well. I used to be hugely into nitro models :-) Had a dabble with petrol as well with a Baja 5B, but that wasn't for me. I had a 1/10th nitro on road as well, but we had a lack of places to use those and setup was a bugger, and it was so easy to bend these tiny pins that held the wishbones on which just totally screwed up the behaviour under braking and accelerating. I was mainly into nitro off road. Started with a 1/8th buggy, a Protech, which was pretty much a clone of a Hyper 7, but re-badged heh. It had a Hyper 8 port engine in it after a short time as well, and it went till an absolute bat out of hell till I roasted it hehe. Then we moved onto the trucks, I started with a HPi Savage, which ended up being modded to sin, full titanium chassis, HPi 4.6 engine and roto start, FLM bulkheads front and rear (they were awesome, but over £100 for the pair hehe - thankfully I reverted the Sav to stock to sell, and sold it as a virtually stock truck on ebay, and then all the hop-ups seperately, and actually made a profit of about £10 on each one, despite them being used) and the list could just keep going on and on. Really spiked Mulcher tyres on T-maxx rims were just one of many wheel/tyre options I went through, inc 23mm Proline adaptors and wheels (a set of road tyres on the multispoke 23mm 40 series wheels, and a set of bowties on 40series 23mm dishes). And all that was just the Savage. I also had 2 Revos, one virtually stock, and one that I acquired very cheap, that was modded to hell. RB323 engine, all the traxxas hop ups, RPM lifetime guarantee nylon/plastic arms all round, New Era steel rollbar (incredibly beefy) and again the list goes on and on.

Here's a couple of the modded Revo, with and without it's shell -

Here's the Savage with and without shell (it was always dirty hehe, no shelfqueens here!)
Here's a shot of the stock Revo as well -
And here's this pic, just cos it's ace hehe :-)
Ah I did get rambling there, with a good bit of reminiscing, didn't I :-)

Reply to
DanB

Gulp ... someone whos a bigger nitro geek than me lol.

Awesome pics Dan!!

I'm tarting around with a hypser st at the mo. Completely stock with some mods coming soon :) I shall post some pics of them when done and mark it for your attention.

I've been pondering on trying a truck at some point. I was watching some trainer helicopters and thought it was pretty cool the other day and have been slowly liking the idea more and more to have a dabble at them.

The nitro bug has truly bitten me!!

Reply to
Maxi

hehe nice to hear a fellow enthusiast although you sound more clued up on it than I am, and I spend ages in forums reading and doing ... saddo I am lol.

Reply to
Maxi