Forums can be bad for your wealth.

Traipsing around one of the E30 forums and I found this

Lot cheaper than the 4.4 to do, and seems to go well enough...

Reply to
Pete M

what is it?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

3.9 Rover lump running 48mm Webers.
Reply to
Pete M

I would guess it's an E30 Touring, fitted with a 4 or 4.6 litre V8. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Mmmmm juicy.

There was a guy on the SD1 Forum fitting a 3.5 V8 to his E36. Is this sort of conversion becoming more common? Are BMW engines that expensive?

BTW I've got a spare 3.5 on Ebay at the moment. I'll give you 10% off if you win it :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I don't think it's to do with expense as much as complication. The M60 BMW V8 is a bloody good engine, but it's full of complicated bits the Rover doesn't bother with and there are a lot of dead Nikasil ones about. Shoving a mildly warmed over Rover lump in seems to be the way forward.

Oooh, ta, but to be honest I've bought the engine mounts and bits of other stuff to throw an M60 into the E30 (they cost more than a Rover lump) so I'll be sticking with the original plan. I have a good friend who works for Land Rover doing development work who's trying to snaffle a cheap M60 from an early L322 Rangie for me.

Reply to
Pete M

That was one of the least interesting videos I've ever seen :-) And what is it?

Reply to
DanB

I take it you've got no sound then?

Reply to
Pete M

I have, but it's a Photobucket .flv - the sound quality is totally BOSE, and there is cars driving past sound then 1 seconds of rev, small wheelspin and end?

Sorry but it's just not floating my boat, try find a drive by where it's going well fast :-)

Reply to
DanB

Wow after 30 seconds it had done all of 7 yards!

Reply to
Depresion

Heh, I can hear it rather well for about 30 seconds, and it sounds gloriously V8.

8 cylinders fuelled by lots of petroleum. Wonderful.
Reply to
Pete M

bah now THIS is a conversion! course i'd do it if it wasn't for my dodgy wheel bearing holding me back lol

Vamp

A much better vid :-)

Reply to
DanB

Haha I was just thinking 'stick a Corvette engine in and be done with it', and what turns up...

Reply to
Abo

I've got a TPI Corvette lump, but it's about 400x the weight of the Rover motor...

Reply to
Pete M

New ones are all quad cammery and alloy.

Reply to
Burgerman

Nope found a better breakdown... They are supercharged instead and make 100 bhp per litre (600 plus bhp) and are alloy. Expect one in 2009... And in a corvette they go 200 plus mph...

Reply to
Burgerman

A vid. On second thought you should leave the engine in the corvette and just get that.

Burgerman

At 2 dollars to the pound you can import one cheap too.

Reply to
Burgerman

It's only about $1.75 to the £ at the moment, the £ fell sharply against the dollar about a week ago.

Reply to
Abo