MONDEO 2.0TDCi ZETEC (6-SPEED, 130bhp) Opinions Please!

Going to look at one at the weekend. My firm's relocated and I have 40 miles per day to travel just for work and only get 20mpg from the Scoob.

Not expecting blistering performance, but stats are not that bad for a diesel.

Anbody have any ownership / driving experience?

Reply to
Me

My mate had one as a rental for 2 days. The performance is quite good actually, in a very diesel way. The clutch is a bit sharp, but you'll get used to it - Scoob clutches are similar IME. I never stalled it, but the first time I used it - I really nearly did and kangerooed off heh. It's a better clutch than my 405 for that heh...

Solid as a solid thing too the interior - my parents V6 has 80k on it and still looks like new - no squeeks, no rattles, no faults. Just needs service items. Get it remapped and I imagine it'll be entertaining.

Reply to
Iridium

Tend to be a bit expensive as a used buy, but then that's because of their deserved reputation. Well built, entertaining, quiet, well equipped and not bad on diesel either. The ones I've borrowed have all returned low 50s to the gallon _but_ your own mileage may vary.

They can have injector issues. Servicing is otherwise very reasonable, there are lots about, so expect a full history and mint condition, otherwise walk away.

Reply to
DervMan

I think Conor's got some sort of Diesel Mondeo. It goes round sharp corners really fast apparently. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

My dad has just bought a new one. He really loves it. no long term experience of his own yet, but test driving his own before buying and borrowing his mates to see if he liked it, he loved it. Said it had a real oooomph of the line and just keeps pulling.

Reply to
Elder

I've got that engine/gearbox combo in my new Focus - 70mph=well under

2000rpm=55mpg. Maybe slightly less mpg in the heavier Mondeo shell, and of course it depends on your driving style!
Reply to
Neil McD.

Compared to a 40 tonne artc, I expect it does...

Reply to
PCPaul

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Me, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Excellent car, *much* better than the equivalent VW.

Reply to
Pete M

Hint: he doesn't drive it 'very hard'.

He drives it like a nun.

Reply to
SteveH

no, he drives like a nutter because he knows none of his colleagues are going to nick him on his way home :-)

his missus must be raising the average.

james

Reply to
john doe

Yeah...it's my current car.

DO NOT get hung up on having a 6 speed box. I've yet to see any=20 justification for having 6th.

They go like stink for what they are. It should give an initial quick=20 spurt of acceleration as it's designed to overboost for a few seconds.

Make sure the clutch is OK. It's a DMF job so well over =A3500 to change.

Try and buy one with cruise control and heated windscreen - some zetecs=20 do have this.

Should return over 50MPG easily.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

At 10p per mile best case scenario for fuel and at least 15p per mile on servicing, tax, tyres and the likes, I'd move closer to the job. Even with those running costs it's £100 a week getting to and from work FFS.

Reply to
Doki

Approximately HALF the fuel, HALF the servicing costs and HALF the insurance, in other words, it's a lot cheaper to run than a 2.0 Turbo WRX ;-)

Although at the minute still undecided, quite like the Golf TDi and Astra SRi CDTi as well..

Reply to
Me

It's still FIVE GRAND a year for crying out loud.

Reply to
Doki

To add..

REAR SUBFRAME BUSHES. If there's any knocking from the rear HAGGLE HARD=20

- hard being =A3500+. At one point it used to mean a new rear subframe.=20 Ford finally got sick of it and produced replacement bushes but it=20 means an overnight stay at the dealers for the car. However, Superflex=20 now have produced replacement polybushes which are ~=A360 a set and an=20 hour a side to fit.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

I've done 30+ each way a day for most of my working life. What's the problem?

Reply to
Conor

Time taken. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Any sign of knocking, clunking, wobbleyness from the rear, then walk away- subframe bushes are a known weakspot, especially on estates, or hard worked hatchbackers- they are glued on (I kid you not) and require 24hrs set time.

Injectors and HP pump can play up and are ££££££'s to fix, but its a random thing and through no particular reason.

Go for a Zetec, or a Ghia or even a Titanium (depending on yr) in a metallic and insist on mint-ness throughout and FULL SH.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I think it depends where you live and where you're going. I used to commute about 18 miles each way into Glasgow at reasonably busy times which would take about 45 minutes whether I used the motorway or the back roads. It's relatively built up around here and the commute really wasn't a lot of fun. I car shared a lot of the time which made the experience more bearable.

If I had had to drive 40 miles across Glasgow and out the other side, each way, every day, it would certainly have been worth me moving, as quite apart from the running costs, it wouldn't be worth the stress to me.

On the other hand, where relations of mine live in the Highlands, far from the madding crowd etc, most days 45 minutes of behaving yourself will happily get you at least 40 miles. I'm sure that's also true for a fair bit of Britain.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Superflex have released a polybush kit for this now for =A360. Takes an=20 hour a side. It's a good bargaining chip.=20