Mondeo ST220 Vs Vectra GSi

Looking into getting one or the other, fancy a big roomy car, fast, with full leather interior, nicely specced & still under manufacturers warranty (car about 2 - 2.5 yr old) these seem ideal, cost £20K + when new and now go for a song.

Prefer the Mondeo styling but I 'think' the Vectra offers better performance

Which do you recommend?

Anyone own one of these?

Or indeed any other similar aged/specced car to consider?

Comments appreciated!

Reply to
Reg Kray

The depreciation on a 2-3 year old Vectra/Mondeo will be phenomenal...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

buy 5-6 yr old for less than half the money bank the rest or spend it on some mods

but for that sort of money consider the alternatives

audi/golf 1.8t scoobies etc etc etc

Reply to
Rob

They both make about the same power, I beleive the Vectra is more thirsty, the Mondeo handles better, they're both likely to be quite poorly built (basing this on my mates Corsa for Vx and another friend's Fiesta for Ford - they might put some vague effort into the bigger, more expensive motors though) - The Mondeo looks LOTS better. I'd have the Mondeo, in Blue :)

Reply to
DanTXD

E34 M5? Excellent value and run for ever if well looked after.

JB

Reply to
JB

Rover 620TI!!

Reply to
fishman

Yeah, I bought my 5 yr-old 2l Ghia for £1500, it was high miles though, almost 100k. To date (almost 2 years and 25k miles), I've replaced the power-steering cooler (£45) cos it was leaking and that's it apart from servicing.

Not the cheapest "banger" but even if I throw it away now, £750 per year in depreciation I can live with...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

neither are that quick really

Reply to
Vamp

Neither of them are anything to write home about in the performance stakes, but I would have thought the Mondeo would be slightly quicker and handle better. It will also be more fun to drive than the Vectra which - as with most Vauxhalls these days - has s**te gearbox ratios.

I'm a fan of Vauxhalls and have owned many. Go for the Ford.

Reply to
Lordy.UK
[...]

Fine idea. There are also ALPINAs, AMGs and other real fast cars to consider...

Alistair J Murray

I have to agree with most when they say slightly older would have you slightly better....however...

The ST looks the dogs IMO, and will in no uncertain terms be the better car. Vauxhall just don't make good cars, compared to Ford, anymore.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Drive one, you *will* love it. Really poised, tight handling and enough grunt to pull your shorts off! You won't lose any money on it either. Insurance is pretty cheap too through the BMW Drivers Club UK. JB

Reply to
JB

i'd like an AMG C class, there good money at the moment but the ban on my licence sees insurance bouncing off the ceiling!

Reply to
Vamp

but it's a bmw ;)

Reply to
dojj

between the 2? having driven both, the mondeo is the better car not that the gsi is crap mind, it's just that it's not as good as the mondeo just make sure you do get the ST220 though if you are going to, the ST200 is nice, but it's not as good or as loaded with goodies :)

Reply to
dojj
[...]

I currently have an E39 B10 V8. :)

It's my third Deucher V8...

I *believe*.

Must join and check them out.

Alistair J Murray
[...]

Another plus.

Alistair J Murray

Vectra is bigger, more comfy and has better engine (assuming you mean current vectra).

Get either 2.0T and chip it to sensible power or a 3.2V6. Or go completely insane and get a Signum - all the toys, all the go, all the comfort and disastrous early depreciation.

Leftfield alternatives are MGZT260 and Passat W8...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

...all the problems :)

Cheapest V6 on Autotrader at the moment is just shy of ten grand, not=20 too bad but I have a sneaky feeling there's a lot more to drop off=20 yet... :)

Cheapest 260 at the moment is =A313.5k, but the 4.0 Passat W8 is available= =20 from a surprisingly low =A310k. At that price it makes the others look=20 rather pointless...

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Certainly does. Completely bonkers car with dreadfule consumption and so-so handling, but sounds amazing and goes like hell in straight line.

Get some TDi badges for it...

Signum not as bad as you'd expect, very civilised place to spend all day cruising flat out.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp