More test driving

Erm, well, I'm just about to spend £19k of someone else's money on a brand new car. I'm going to be spending several hours a day in it over the next few years, so I'm going to get what I want.

If it were me buying a car for under £2k, I wouldn't give a f*ck, but, as I have a free choice, then why not worry about colour?

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1hh5cu3.8387lsj7dqfiN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

SO... What kind of car IS it????

Reply to
Tunku

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1hh5jdd.1td4494vtlsvpN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Good man. What colour is the engine then?

Reply to
Tunku

Same here.

Yup :-)

Agreed

Reply to
DanTXD
[...]

I like it lots.

In the event of a largish windfall I might order an ALPINA B5 Touring in that colour, probably with piping to match...

Blue, green or purple leather..?

8)

Alistair J Murray

You've sold your soul to the conventional diesel company car. I'm very disappointed...

Cash option. Alfa Romeo 159 JTD. Sorted.

Reply to
DervMan

No cash option. Has to be German. Even with a cash option, the 159 looks spectacularly poor value - a Passat 2.0TDI Sport comes in at about the same price as the base spec. 159 JTD, ffs.

VW pricing has made most other semi-premium brand pricing look very expensive these days - car for car they're now the same price, or slightly cheaper than, a Mondeo.

Reply to
SteveH

And haven't we been telling you this? :)

Sorry, but style over VAG any time.

Yes but you'll be telling us why in a few months.

Reply to
DervMan

Well, no.

The 156 vs old Passat had the 156 looking better value. The situation is now reversed.

Obviously, but I'm allowed VAG or alternatively VAG. Unless I want to pay the extra for Merc / BMW (*shudder*)

Hmmmm, maybe. I don't think there's anything wrong with the engineering, but some of the interior trim is distinctly pikey these days.

On the other hand, the 2.0TDI lump is a bit of a gem. For a diesel.

Reply to
SteveH

What? The current Passat looks degenerative from some angles and merely "VAG" from others.

Skoda. Seat. Even Au-rock hard ride-di too?

Yup. It's not very consistent either. :-/

You're another convert. Next you'll be deliberately splashing diesel on your hands and secretly sniffing it later *cough Tim Kemp cough*.

Reply to
DervMan

I didn't say the Passat looks better, you c*ck ;-)

It 'looks better value' - which it does, the 2.0TDI SE is over £1.5k cheaper than a base 159.

The 156 was cheaper than the B5 Passat......

German, as in, made in Germany. Yes, I can probably get an Audi, but, an A4 specced the same as a B6 Passat is about £3k more expensive. And smaller.

For the same price as a B6 Passat all I'd get would be an A3. Which is just an expensive MkV Golf.

No, I'm not a convert. But, as diesel lumps go, it's a good one. Worth trading an SE spec 1.9 for an S spec 2.0? - dunno - I need to find an S spec on a forecourt to compare.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah I see. Tired. I'd still take the Alfa Romeo.

You've sold yourself short.

I understand why, but you've still sold your soul to a diesel four door German hunkering barge rather than a sleek, svelt Alfa Romeo.

The Passat is an expensive Superb...

Hmm. 2.0 over the 1.9 for many reasons. As for the specification... as I understand there's little in it. Save the cash..?

Reply to
DervMan

Erm, no. As I've said, I can have something German or something else that's German. Without paying silly money to top things up myself, I can have a Golf or a Passat. The Jetta isn't on the list :-(

No. Not even slightly. The old B5, maybe, but the B6 is a *very* different beast. The Superb still uses the old TDI lumps for a start.

Well, both get semi auto climate, the SE has a slight audio upgrade and rear electric windows. What I'm more concerned about are the things that make the cabin a nicer place to sit - like the roller shutter blinds over the cubby holes and stuff. The S appears to have gaping holes where the SE has the nifty little shutters. It does make a difference to the whole feel of the car. However, I'd like the 2.0 and 6 speed box, so I may well be persuaded.

Reply to
SteveH

What exactly is that?

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You can set the temperature, but it doesn't do all the funky things with the vents and servos that the old Climatronic did. Fan speed and vents have to be manually set by the driver.

Reply to
SteveH

God, even my RX8 does that stuff.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Well, yes, but when you look at the list prices you can see why.

Passat 1.9TDI S comes in at around 500 quid *less* than a Mondeo TDCI LX

- and that's the 'rep special' Mondeo with the 89bhp lump.

Reply to
SteveH

Bet the RX costs less to contract hire, though ;)

Richard (well, maybe not than the 89bhp Mondeo - but it was £10/month more than the £8,000 Yaris).

Reply to
RichardK

And this old Saab 9-3 too.

For all the difference that will make of course...

Reply to
DervMan