most gorgeous / ugliest cars ever.

for the most gorgeous cars in the world ever, I vote as follows :-

Ferrari 456GT Porsche 911 Turbo (last of the aircooled ones) TVR Cerbera mid 60's Alfa GTA Alfa concept car (was it called the Brera or something) Aston Martin Vanquish. E type Jag (S1 3.8 roadster) '68 Dodge Charger R/T (although this could have been caused by Daisy Duke) Capri RS2600

for the least gorgeous cars in the world ever, I'm thinking

Allegro Vanden Plas Alfa 75 (Sorry Steve, but a wheeltrim spec 75 ain't pretty) Audi A2 (remind me of the shopkeepers wife from the league of gentlemen) Triumph Acclaim Vauxhall Astra (any one of them, I hate the lot) Reliant Scimitar SS1 BMW compact any front wheel drive Escort apart from the RS2000 Mk5 Vauxhall Belmont Ford Transit "Connect" Ford Fusion Vauxhall Zafira any Hyundai except the proper Coupé one

Reply to
Pete M

I used to have one of these :) Older Saab 900's (Ones like Carls) remind me of them :) For what its worth - it was a hoot to drive :)

Reply to
Dan405

Oi!

OK, with plastic trims they look terrible. But a decent set of alloys transforms them.

And I can think of plenty of cars that should go onto the list before the 75.

Reply to
SteveH

agreed!

my mind is blank, all I can think of is Trevved up Novas.

Reply to
Pete M

Jag XJ220, rear isn't great but from a front 3/4 view there's nothing that beats it imo

Fiat Multipla, practicality/functionality pushed way too far ahead of styling

-- Chet

Chet

Definetely. The new replacemnt Scaglietti thing looks like a turd tho.

Of course.

The speed 12 version is quite spiffing, but the cooking model is a bit rank, the back end is superb but the headlights are fk'ing awful. The Chimera is a lot better.

It was good the first time around, but you can only shovel the same stuff out so many times with a slight facelift before people get sick of it.

75 is a top car to look at.

Get out of it, superb cars.

omg, the RS2000 is a pile of wussy shandy drinking southern piss, one of the worst Escorts ever. It looks shit, and by God it *is* shit.

Now, a 70's Mk2 RS2000 on the other hand. *that* is an Escort.

Reply to
Lordy

Lordy made the world a better place for us by saying..

Ah, I've owned both, and I just happen to like the ickle bonnet bulges on the early Mk5 RS.

Reply to
Pete M

Ah I see, personal bias. It's ok to admit you made a mistake you know :)

Reply to
Lordy

AC Cobra Lamborghini Countach I cant remember what it was called but it was a wedge shaped alfa from 80's with massive wing on the back?(but equally it could fit into the ugly catagory too i suppose, but hey i liked it)

Allegro Vanden Plas + Princess porsche 924 Metro/Maestro/Montego renault 4

yoda Out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

Fuck yes, that's still my dream car that is fs.

The SZ ? Supremely gorgeous, yet supremely ugly at the same time. So bad, yet sooooooo good.

Reply to
Lordy

Nice choice. Chopped 75 chassis in a composite shell.

Fantastic. On the lottery list, I think.

Reply to
SteveH

Shame there's only a single right hand drive model. Wasn't it called "Il Monstro" or something ? :)

Reply to
Lordy

Yeah. I think that's what the Wop press christened it at the time.

Reply to
SteveH

theres one of them sz thingies livin around the corner from me, sounds nice..

Reply to
Theo

I'd add the Ferrari 360- if I won the lottery it's the one I'd get. Shout footballers car all you want, I think it's shape is spot on. Also, the new shape Audi A4 Avant estate thingys. I think they look real nice from the back 3/4, really squat and purposeful looking...

I'd also agree with the Metro/Maestro/Montego someone else said... I'd also have to add the Ka. Sorry Dervy, but I think its mingin'!

James

Reply to
James

Pete M made the world a better place for us by saying..

and I add the following.

Jag XJR Any Bentley Turbo

any Daewoo Peugeot 104 / 204 / 304 / 404 / 504 (but not the convertible 504) Maestro

Reply to
Pete M

Yup your hormones have got the better of you!

No. If you think a few bonnet bulges and bits of Glitz can make a car good looking - you are wrong.

include the lot - you have been had by Glitz again!

and all the others except a very very few like the 8 series coupe and

3.0 LWB CSa/CSi.

If you think quad lights and alloy wheels can make a car good looking

- you are wrong. Far too much metal above the front wheels.

Apply a simple rule of thumb. Measure overall height, add height from wheel arch to top of bonnet including any scoops etc. directly above hub center. If it's under 50 inches it's a design and style classic - keep it safe and warm. If is over 50 and under 56 inches it's a car to be seen in and use daily. If it's over 57.5 inches it's ugly beyond hope (lowering is just laughable), sell it now before everyone else realises the mistake you made. If it's under 57.5 and over 56 inches lower it!

This is for most 'normal' cars, long cars can carry more height and still have nice proportions, short cars must be sleeker to look good.

Current side and pedestrian impact laws prevent any but the most stylish and expensively engineered cars meeting this criteria. The pinnacle of good looking and affordable car design came and went sometime ago.

Peter Hill

Think I saw one of those this weekend. Kind of like the new Coupe and the newer-ish spyder shape.

Yeah, ugly manly gorgeous. That kind of look, only a blkoke could appreciate that brutal style.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Agreed, except for the Porsche - i really dont like the old air cooled ones at all. I would also add: Pug 406 Coupe Mr Burton's Peugeot Cosworth Evo VI Lotus Elise The lil Bentley GT thingy on TG last night

Agree with all of them except the Scimitar, but may i add: Base model Ka (with grey bumpers) The new Cadillac (i think thats what it is) in the Matrix 2 Fiat X19 (is that the name? i remember helping my dad work on one when i was very young, and thinking what a bloody ugly car!) Any Lada

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

One of these?

SteveH