MPG of powerful engines

UK gallon = 4.5454 litres : 1 litre = 0.22 UK gallons1 mile = 1.6093 kilometres : 1 kilometre = 0.62139 miles

8 miles/litre

8 x 4.5454 = 36.36 miles per uk gallon

Reply to
JohnR

or to save doing all that bollocks

;)

Reply to
Vamp

cheapskate :D

Reply to
JohnR

Because of the APC controlling boost and using the knock sensor, the old Saab 900 16v was 9.0:1, 8.8:1 for the ST185 GT4.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I average around 16-17 mpg around town (which is most of the time), get about 25-30 on a run depending if I'm going quick or not. E34 BMW 535i

Reply to
Pete MC

Except that they're horribly INefficient !

Remember, they have a huge great restriction in the exhaust (the Turbo), AND a low compression ratio.

Also remember, that you can't spin the Turbo for free. It's energy has to come from somewhere, and if you trace the route back, the only energy source it has is the fuel in the tank. Fuel used to drive turbo = worse mpg.

I've got about a 50l tank in the TI, which I make out to be 11 gallons. Work commute nets me 240miles from said tank, making about 22mpg. That's 9 miles, starting from cold, lots of overtaking, accelerating from 30mph to 90mph etc. - not mpg friendly at all !

On a motorway run at a steady 80mph, then I get 400 miles from the same tank - which is a nice 36mpg.

It all depends on the journey in question.

Reply to
Nom

Or to save unneccessarily complicating things by putting irrelevant conversion factors into the equation:

1 gallon = 4.546 litres (that's the figure I always use anyway).

The basic calculator (built in to mobile phone) method is easy:

480 * 4.546, then press equals, then divide by 60. Easy.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Oi! - thats what i did!

480/60 = 8

:D

Reply to
JohnR

Oh yeah.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Umm, mines probly wrong because its what my french trip computer says, but at 80-85 i get about 37mpg, including the single carrigeway bits where i have to overtake and stuff (A64 for anyone what knows....). If i sit and cruise at 55, and keep my foot perfectly still, i get about 55-60mpg according to the trip computer :) But i never do that.

Reply to
DanTXD

my dad's trip comp in his volvo gives you an average from daily driving and even total miles left in the tank hehe, he averages 44mpg in his 2.4 diesel S60 and it drops to about 40mpg when i use it a couple of times :)

Reply to
Vamp

The "range" indicator on the volvo trip computer is deadly accurate, I deliberately emptied my S40 once, and it started flashing "FUEL" just before it stopped moving!

My current one doesn't have the trip computer.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

wish i could get 600-700miles to a tank :) the volvo must have a HUGE tank!

Reply to
Vamp

Currently 10:1 here, 8.5:1 on the new engine :)

Reply to
Chet

If you stuck to 70 mph, Lucy (mark one Mondeo TD) would return at least 52 mpg. With a 60 litre tank, more like 65 litres if you used the expansion space, that gives you nearly 750 miles.

The 1.6 I had for a weekend managed just over 500 miles from just over 60 litres, 400 of these being motorway driving... that's just shy of 40 mpg...

Reply to
DervMan

We established that you drive like a girl ages ago, don't need any more evidence, thanks ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Do you live (or travel in the evening) north of Leeds on the A1?

Reply to

Heh! Maybe - but Charlie uses more petrol than I do for the same mileage but has a lower average speed....

Reply to
DervMan

Oh dear. Only you would notice a difference like that.

Reply to
SteveH

*in a homer simpson goes to college style* NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Reply to
Vamp