MX5's - do they rock sufficently?

More specifically, the 1.8 sport?

I know it has 6 spd, Bilstein suspension, 146bhp, LSD, ABS, EBD, 16's and a few other goodies. But are they any good? Anyone driven one? The mags seem to like em...

Aside from the image, anything wrong with them?

Reply to
Dan405

How much do they weigh? Around a tonne i'm guessing which should give much amusement with 146bhp and a LSD.

On a vaguely related topic does anyone know if Volvo 200s came with a slipper? Coz i really would like one for my car!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I think the pipe and slippers were options, but the labrador and the wardrobe were standard.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

it was second on my list before i went for the MR2 turbo as MX5 is cheaper on insurance obviously :)

there great if you ask me! went to lunch in the guy at works 1995 1.8i import, bit small inside but with the MR2 i'm used to that, felt really quick as you sit very low, probably lower than my MK1

Reply to
Vamp

No no no, the labrador wasnt standard in the 200s, the tartan rug was though. The labrador was standard in the 700s.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They haven't been the same since they binned the pop-up lights.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, they have been better

Reply to
Andy

No, but some 700 series did. I think it was cars with the self leveling.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Did they have the same box as the 300s though (ie transaxle stylee)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In message , Andy writes

A lot better looking, certainly.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Nope- both the 200 and 700 series use the same conventionally placed (behind engine) manual or auto boxes with a propellor shaft to a conventional solid back axle.- apart from the late 760's and all 900's which went to IRS.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

ISTR reading the 340 gearbox is the same as the 240 one. My Haynes book of lies reckons the diff's seperate to gearbox, so perhaps you could bodge one together from 700 parts (700 diff in the casing from the 340 to make everything mate up?). Or perhaps I'm showing my absolute lack of knowledge on this subject and making some comedy errors :D.

Reply to
Doki

I thought the same as Doki - the 240s used the same layout as the 340s

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I was under the impression that the 240 has the gearbox in the normal place (ie, stuck onto the back of the engine), but that the gearbox is basically the same one as the 340 box.

Reply to
Doki

You think so?

I just think they look boringly 'Mazda' now.

They've grown, too, which can't be a good thing. The main appeal of the original MX5 was that it was a dinky little modern Lotus Elan replica.

Reply to
SteveH

I see your point. It's just that I don't like pop-up headlights at the best of times, even on the Elan!

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Maybe, will have to do some research!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

message

Most definately nope.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Damn. Do they use the same gearbox in a different place like Doki said though?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

message

conventional

The middle casing with the gears in is the same, though I wouldnt have a clue if the mounting points where the tailsahft housing bolts on and the clutch housing bolts on would be the same to swap the torquetube and diff case onto without getting one of each on the bench and turning them both to

1000 pieces to look.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.