S Type Brake failure

I have a 2003 S Type and had some problems that have been fixed under warranty.

My neighbour has an S Type Sport, and on braking to a stop behind a car at a junction, he allowed the car to pull forward slowly as the queue moved. when he applied the brake nothing happened, except the RPM went to about 5000 rpm and he ran into the car in front. Fortunately no damage. Looking on the net there seems to be a few instances of this happening to a number of models of Jag.

Has anyone any experience of this fault, The Jag dealer can't find anything wrong and their diagnostics show nothing. I'm concerned it may be a generic fault.

Paul Harrison

Reply to
Paul Harrison

Don Young

This is not a fault on the car. This is caused by pressing the accelerator instead of the brake.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

"" wrote: > I have a 2003 S Type and had some problems that have been > fixed under > warranty. > > My neighbour has an S Type Sport, and on braking to a stop > behind a car at a > junction, he allowed the car to pull forward slowly as the > queue moved. when > he applied the brake nothing happened, except the RPM went to > about 5000 rpm > and he ran into the car in front. Fortunately no damage. > Looking on the net > there seems to be a few instances of this happening to a > number of models of > Jag. > > Has anyone any experience of this fault, The Jag dealer can't > find anything > wrong and their diagnostics show nothing. I'm concerned it may > be a generic > fault. > > Paul Harrison

its most likely to be a short but I cant tell you anymore sorry. this would explain why a technician cant find the fault. When the car rolls under different tensions wires may have rubbed through under friction and when your voltage drops through not using the alternator, (which kicks in normally at about 2500rpm) faults may show up. It may be a freak of nature or the wires returning to there original position that causes the tech to be unable to find the fault on his diagnostic machine.

I?ve not looked at the looms for this vehicle but I cant explain any other way why brakes and Rpm would have a conflicting effect. As the brakes use little electrics try isolating individually the brake switch on the pedal and the whole of the ABS system. I would favour an ABS short and would insist this at a Jaguar dealer if I had the problem.

Please let us all know if you discover the fault and the remedy!

Good Luck!

Reply to
Discouri

This is complete nonsense. There is no way that an electrical fault in the abs system can do anything other than disable abs, which gives you a warning light on the dash.

This gentleman appears to have suffered from the well understood problem of inadvertent acceleration. The theory that this is caused by faults on the car - whether Jaguar or any other marque - has been debunked ad infinitum.

The most pressing evidence is that - despite the fact that a car's brakes can overpower the engine - those who suffer this 'fault' invariably describe pressing the brake pedal harder and finding the car accelerating faster - ergo, they are pressing the throttle pedal whilst believing they are pressing the brake pedal. End of story.