Newsgroup's feisty tonight :)

I think it's an excellent idea.

The whole point of a fine, is that it dents your wallet.

If you've got a bit of money, then £60 doesn't dent your wallet in the slightest. If you're very poor, it's a large amount of money !

Parking tickets are a prime example. Rich folk in London park where they like, and simply pay the fine. If it was means-tested (so their fines were £10,000 or whatever) then there would be a *LOT* less illegal parking !

Reply to
Nom

It did have 1 gear when the gearbox was broken, but I replaced it. Now it has 4, and lockup on 3rd and 4th.

Volvos are gay.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I believe manual was a no cost option, but I know of another 2 in my town and they are both autos. Mine was pretty mint untill a small altercation with some road debris removed plastic side skirts on one side, cracked the front bumper and caused the gearbox to self destruct.

I quite fancy a BX GTi, Nissan 200sx, possibly even something italian. The only thing I really dont like about the 2.6 is that it is thirsty. Was your experience with your other carltons bearable, as in relaxed cruising and able to overtake?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

At least the rear arches won't rust through, and the gearboxes won't need a 100k rebuild. You can't beat "made in England" for a disclaimer.

-- James

Reply to
James

The worlds most powerful internal combustion engine is a diesel engine.

-- James

Reply to
James

That was the way to find Liverpool, drive up the M6 until someone nicks your alloys.

Reply to
antispam

oooh, four ratios, all way too high to be able to make quick progress, in a car with what? 50 BHP

Carltons are pikey.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Real wussy Volvo's have turbos and more than 4 cylinders. REAL volvo's have RWD and are designed for people who can appreciate that fact (like me).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yep, the 2 litres were reasonable, though no rocket ships. Both diesels (turbo and non-turbo) were dog slow on initial pullaway, but both were reasonable once they got going - the 2.3D would actually shift reasonably well if you kept it in third from about 35-40 onwards and floored it, and the TD picked up reasonably in top gear at 70 or so.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Its got slightly more BHP than that. Why have 2 or 3 ratios to get to 55 when 1 will do?

Only losers pay for stuff that pikeys can steal for free. Plus, with a footpump you can adjust the rear suspension on my Carlton, for when you've stolen some extra shit from LiDL and put it in the caravan.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Have you driven my (petrol) car?!

Reply to
DervMan

That's not a car, that's a joke on automotive transport that some sad git in Ford's S&M department said "go on, the public are stupid enough to buy anything"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It could have been so much better, too. The inital design showed at some motorshow with round lights at the front looked much nicer. That shape and the 1.25 Zetec engine would have produced a pretty good car, IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

Then did they say "Now, tie me up and spank my bottom"?

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Bwahah!

I don't know if I should take you serious or not!

:)

Reply to
DervMan

hey if they get that kind of treatment I'm moving into sales and marketing

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

it seems that the public is stupid enough to go "Bwahah!" too

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news:c0bgde$14q92v$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-166528.news.uni-berlin.de, Carl Gibbs decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Or how about people who run mindlessly uneconomical old cars? Like, er, Jags and Mercs..?

I think I -oops- they, should be given encouragement to speed... and bonuses for doing so.. saving the planet by less time idling etc :-D

Reply to
Pete M

Nah, that could be Grimsby...

Mate of mine's a cabbie, and one night there was a hooker in the back of his cab, when she got to her destination, she hooked up her skirt, pulled a wedge of £20's out of her drawers and said "Hey, Lad, smell the Grimsby on that"... ever since then, the word "Grimsby has made me chortle"

Reply to
Pete M