Experiment No 1

Mondeo is currently running on Lidl Cooking Oil. Seems fine, starts okay and is as slow as it always was. So thats fuel for 30p a litre. I'll have some of that ;-).

Matt

P.S. Obviously I'll be paying the duty...............

Reply to
**-**

Matt I ran my Rover 825 SD on Tesco cooking oil. Tried Sainsburys too. Both worked fine :)

However, after being left out in the cold the car was lumpy for a while as the oil got thicker in the low temp. With recent temp levels I doubt it'd start at all.

I did run it on almost 100% cooking oil and was fine about 5 mins after starting but mix some diesel in with it and it's a lot happier.

The smell reminds me of an establishment who claims that flame grilled is better than fried

Reply to
Fishman19

AvGas - now THERE's a cure for preignition. In with the avgas, up with the boost....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Your right there LOL. Got about 20 litres of Veg in with a 5 litres of Derv.

Now if only I could find a way to fuel the T16 up on AvGas for a similar price ;-)

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Adding "propane" works too. And its cheap. (No it does not just turn to gas and bugger off...) And adding a little methanol, also ups the octane too. But makes it run weak, so you need to up the fuel pressure, and re-adjust the idle.

Avgas is cheap. Its finding somewhere to buy it. I used to get mine from an "unknown" mechanic at the local airfield. He used to wash helicopter parts in it. I used it in my drag bike. The tanker driver tests fow water or other contaminants every morning, and every shift change by filling a 2 gallon stainless steel bucket up fast and lookin at it.

Then they throw it away!

Reply to
Burgerman

Hang on - aren't you guys aware that you have to mix a small amount of methanol in with the cooking oil ?

Reply to
Nom

That is an untruth. If you wanted to make biodiesel then methanol is one of the ingredients, but neat veggie oil is fine as long as it isn't allowed to cool too much. I always ran a mixture. 60% or more veggie caused lumpiness on starting, but ran fine once warmed up.

Reply to
yeha