North Korean Nuclear test likely soon

What will be the repercussions- not just the knee-jerk overnight drop in the yen/Nikkei/Hang Seng or whatever, but interesting secondary effects?

Reply to
·Spehro Pefhany Spehro

·DrunkKlingon

After reading this 4 times, I can see why the author includes "drunk" in his name.........

Reply to
·Blash

Do not know what they intend doing with it since they would annihilate themselves if they ever used one agressively.

arthur

-- >

. . support SPAM - fools use real email addresses in public forums.

Reply to
·Arthur

Duh... Maybe it's a defensive move.

Reply to
·Mark Mathu Mark

"Arthur" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

What else *can* they do:

North Korea is failing so badly that they will not be able to get enough able bodies to recruit the next generation of soldiers for their wast army. Their stupid little state can die wimpering for lack of people to exploit or go out with a bang while they still have 3 million soldiers and are capable of making a lasting impression on the region.

Reply to
·Frithiof Andreas Jensen

skrev i en meddelelse

They seem to be following the Chinese model of open "special economic zones" to open their economy to the outside world. Also encouraging tourism and economic ties with the South (via the "Sunshine policy")- which is increasing popular in the South (and the Americans are becoming increasingly unpopular in the South, for various reasons- China is now more popular than the US). But in the meantime, they are very short of energy and have had food problems, but they seem to have turned the corner since the collapse of the Soviet Union:

Anyway, in the context of this newsgroup, I'm more interested in how to make a buck off of the event of this country suddenly going nuclear. I don't see much in the way of options for them at this point. They've already invested the money in making weapons and are still being treated like a non-nuclear state. They want to follow Islamabad's example and get some respect. The optimum point of pressure was a decade ago, and presumably the "agreed framework" was the best deal possible under the circumstances- which took us to the brink of nuclear war. That agreement broke down in 2000 but they're doing a lot better these days.

Japan now has enough Pu and reprocessing plant to make thousands of nuke weapons, and obviously has ICBM technology (they have satellite launch technology, which is basically the same thing). Will this set off an arms race- China developing their modest nuke deterrent into a world-class armory and Japan going more visibly nuclear-capable? Which companies' stocks will benefit in the medium term?

Reply to
·Spehro Pefhany Spehro

Bingo. NK is afraid US is gathering political motivation to invade. Whether being nuclear would offset or enhance that motivation *is* debatable.

Reply to
·Adam Russell Adam

On Sat 07 May 2005 11:23:00a, Adam Russell wrote in news:3a323$427ce896 $437b566d$ snipped-for-privacy@allthenewsgroups.com:

you left out the smiley :)

Reply to
·The Michael The

Interesting. Pre-WWI the USA made a bundle, including gold, from the Eur arms race. Then in 1920's blew it on the stock market. ;)

I have to think what I would do as a N K citizen given the chance. Leave and go either Nord or Sud.

arthur