Oh oh, new addition to sig.

Why would anyone want a machine that is so obselete? When you can spend £300 and build a kick ass XP 2400? And not have to worry about compatibility issues, and being able to use the programs that most of the world uses?

Reply to
Dan405

It might have a 'kick-ass' clock speed, but it won't be as quick in everyday use as a Mac with a lot less power than that. My 1ghz PC crawls along on WinXP.

Bwahahaha!

PCs are an absolute minefield of compatability issues. BIOS updates, drivers, standards that no-one sticks to. Takes me ages to get even simple stuff working on the PC - things like Bluetooth dongles, IRDA adaptors etc just _work_ when you plug them into a Mac without any hassles.

Which programs are you referring to? - I can run Office (but it's bloated and hard to use) - however I use Appleworks which is entirely compatable with Office. Most professional software has a Mac version available, or at least a Mac equivalent.

It's only games that can be a problem. But I have 3 consoles for that.

Reply to
SteveH

It probably does, since the Centrino kicks it's arse and is actually one of the few machines with more poke than a PowerBook :) Better battery life, too. Shame it's intel ;)

(1.3GHz Centrino is rather faster than a P4 - and rather closer in execution to PowerPC than Pentium 4).

Oh, and I have more RAM than you do :P

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Macs = shit :)

A well constructed and put forward argument! Everything i have plugged into my PC works first time, even my bizarre make foreign MP3 USB Pen drive thingy.

Reply to
Dan405

Nah they have new Centrino 1.3's at uni are they are WELL slow - and they don't play games well at all :) Which, and lets be honest, is whats important :)

Reply to
Dan405

Yeah, but you bought it in a toy shop :-)

Reply to
petrolcan

He wants a s**te old Nissan, he does.

:-)

--=20 Michael r1100rs(nearly there)|z400|pc50|mk2 16v| 'fot#125 | twa#5 | flo#10

Reply to
petrolcan

I'm running a 2600 athlon with 768 MB of ram on XP. Seems quite stable...

Reply to
Pete M

And would again :)

Actually, I didn't buy it, someone else bought me it :)

Reply to
Dan405

And it seems that by the weekend I will.

Reply to
SteveH

Greetings Sergey

I may have been trolling slightly, that was a vague reference to a thread a few days ago where some users of the group said how great MS exchange is and others said it was a useless pile of overpriced nonsense.

Secretly, after I posted that message, I had a look at the message headers and worked out that you at least weren't using Outlook express, which is more than I can say for me.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Do they shift? I could just about stand one of these when I get rid of the Ka. God knows what I'd be spending on petrol at 200 miles a week...

Reply to
Doki

To be fair from someone who has a low regard of Apples and much prefers a PC, this is not a fair comparison.

Your 2.6 ghz isn't actually running at that speed as such. It's probably running at 133 mhz with a clock multiplier of 20 times.

It's convenient to boast about, but you could have it run 260 GHz, it's still no quicker as it's only going to sit about for 1999 cycles 100 times quicker on each cycle, instead of just 19 slower cycles, while it waits to find out what to add to the sum (which is limited by the bus - 133 mhz.)

Well, mostly.

Reply to
antispam

Macs = crap

My PC = best cos its mine :)

Thankyou all for coming round to my POV :)

Reply to
Dan405

Fact is, and nobody can deny it, MS products have bugs galore and so does most other stuff.

I've also got XP here, to be fair, but everything I have (which is largely the lastest games as simpler stuff doesn't care so much) works without it. My preferred platform is second edition, which is relatively bullet proof.

I can, however, do all sorts of things that XP can't do. For example, I can explore the physical surface of a disk in real time, XP won't let you. XP isn't the Ferrari of the computer world, it's the %user-prejudiced-mass-produced-car, which isn't to say I have a problem with people using it.

Reply to
antispam

LOL, I find an average of 27-30 painful.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hello Antispam.

22 Jan 04 02:18, you wrote to theo*+*@*+*letsblowitup*.*com:

a> I've also got XP here, to be fair, but everything I have (which is largely a> the lastest games as simpler stuff doesn't care so much) works without it. a> My preferred platform is second edition, which is relatively bullet proof.

a> I can, however, do all sorts of things that XP can't do.

Create a 8Gb file under 98SE please :)

Sergey

... Read the manual? Doesn't it come in automatic?

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

If the trip computer on the Audi drops below 37mpg I feel the pain!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heaven.

It's a lazy engine, and TBH I vastly prefer a V12 for the sound, but what the heck any engine that burns God's own fuel, has six or more cylinders and a displacement over 3.9 Litres is fine by me.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You need a 620TI sir.

Makes it's maximum 240Nm at 2100rpm, and it's a flat (electronically limited) curve until it drops off just over 6000rpm. Makes for a VERY nice drive !

Reply to
Nom