This months Japanese Performance Mag

Anyone seen it?

Got one hell of a sexy 240Z on the front, near 400bhp too.

Lovely :)

-- Chet

Chet

what colour is it?

Reply to
Theo

Blueish

-- Chet

Chet

wait the 240z is like our 200sx isnt it? I was thinking of datsun 240zx, there was a purple one with split rims at my work recently, the driver opened the bonnet and there was a 2.5 straight 6 twin turbo lump, very nicely done, lots of room in there.

Reply to
Theo

Its a 240z, the old ones. You're gettin a tad confused!

-- Chet

Chet

in jap land the 240sx is like our 200sx, i think :)

Reply to
Theo

Yes but a 240Z is a 240Z :)

-- Chet

Chet

Question of the moment...240Z or RX-8?

Reply to
spawn

240Z

-- Chet

Chet

Would that be a Fairlady?

Peter Hill

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:58:08 GMT, "Theo" wrote:

NO. In Japland the 240SX is with an engine swap either a fastback

180SX (= UK 1989 1.8L 200SX but made 1989-1999 with a 2.0L engine from 1991) or a Silvia coupe! 240SX is North America ONLY. 1989-1994 240SX coupe models were unique as they had the Silvia back end and the pop-up headlamp front end off the 180SX. This was an occasional special in Japan called a Onevia. The other mod due to lower cost of fixed headlamp front end on Silvia was to put the coupe front on a fastback when the pop-up front end had been wiped off while drifting = Sileighty (slighty). Someone at Nissan saw these around so they made a few hundred of them with lowered suspension and hot engines for the drifters. Other hybrids exist S14 or S15 front end on 180SX. There were some convertible models too - Varietta. But rare as rocking horse shit in the UK as import only.

It's easy to get confused. Nissan have called their cars by so many different names in so many markets. Maxima in the UK was a misfit badge on Cherrys and Sunnys, in the USA it is a V6 version of the Bluebird, I think it was sold in UK as the QX (Maxima).

USA had the first 200SX S110, it was a fastback with a 2L engine, Japan called the 1.8L engined version the 180SX, while the S11 coupe was called Silvia. Next model came to UK just to start the confusion we got the (R)S12 180SX fastback and called it a Silvia, which was a S12 coupe in Japan. Rare and potent 240RS is based on S12 Silvia with a 2.4L turbo twin cam 16v FJ24 engine - did well in the Acropolis rally (everything else fell apart), then the 4wd drive brigade got in to rallying, demanded easy rallys and stopped the war of attrition car destroying stuff that Nissan used to win like the Africa Sarfai. USA usually had 2.0L engines in S12/(R)S12 shell and called them 200SX, even when it had a 3.0L V6 stuffed in it for the last year (upset the N/A low end 300ZX, same engine lighter car). US got a 2.4L N/A motor in the S13 coupe/RS13 fastback/S14/S14a coupe body shells and called all of them 240SX with slight changes to the chassis codes for the engine and coupe or fastback

UK got 1.8RS13 fastback and then 2.0 S14/S14a coupe and called them all 200SX.In Japan the RS13 and later 2.0L RPS13 fastback were still 180SX,while the S13/PS13 coupe were still Silvia. Australia didn't get any13 series cars and are they pissed as they had to import the 180SX'ssecondhand from Japan. Australia did get the 1994 S14/ 1996 S14a and1999 S15 coupe, called all of them 200SX while in Japan all wereSilvia. RPS13 180SX fastback was discontinued when S15 coupeintroduced, it had run alongside the S14/S14a coupe. In the mid 90'sthe idiots in the USA made a sports FWD car based on the B14 Stanzaand called that POS a 200SX! Called the Sunny in some markets, sortof like the N14 Pulsar/Almera or Micra/March confusion, a laterversion of the Sunny ZX1.8 coupe that UK got - EXA in Australia. Gotall that? It beats the hell out of American Mustang drivers howsomeone can claim a 200SX can take a Cobra.
Nissan's 'S' platform appears to be dead - killed off to make the N/A big engined over weight Z look good. The 1999 200SX/Silvia S15 coupe could match a 2001 350Z on 0-60 and 1/4 times, has two spare seats, is lower and lighter so it probably handles better, not imported to USA or UK so never reported in the press here or there. "Power to burn" said the advert.
?show=yes Me - I'm holding on to my RS13. Until someone makes an easily tunned

7sec 0-60mph sleek (
Reply to
Peter Hill

Here, have a pair of scissors.

8<
Reply to
petrolcan

zzzzzzzzz

Reply to
Theo

I thought the Fairlady (or them most current I've seen) was the 300ZX in other countries?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Me too

-- Chet

Chet

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:43:39 -0000, "Chet" wrote:

No

the early 'Z's where derived from Bluebird's but had 'S' forsports appended to the chassis codes until the Z31. Fairlady goes way back before the 'Z'.
like a MG than an 'E' type. The first Silvia CSP311 was built onthe same chassis as the '64 Fairlady. Engine derived from austin 'B'series.

Current 350Z is Fairlady Z in Japan.

It's also sort of related to this as it was a dry run for the first 'Z'.
the Count had done the first Silvia for Nissan he started thislittle project to make a Japanese 'E' Type for the USA market. Nissanbankrolled it, Yamaha prototyped it, Nissan junked it as it was toosmall for two Yank's to get in. So the Count and Yamaha took thewhole project to Toyota. Since then all high performance Toyotas havehad Yamaha engines - wide valve angle = Yamaha beast, narrow valveangle = Toyota econo box. Don't know how far it would get on "twinchalk carburetors". Rag top version was made specially for the Bondfilm You Only Live Twice, Sean couldn't get in it with a tin lid,driven by agent Aki - had a TV video link to a helicopter so theycould see the baddies sneaking up on them. Another of the Count's cars was the BMW 507. I'm sure one of the baddies in a black and white Bond movie (thunderball?) drove one. BMW never picked up on it when they were shouting about the Z8 Bond car being a throwback to the 507. Or perhaps they didn't want to be associated with the baddies? When he did the prog on the Thyssen's, Alan Wicker, Fiona Thyssen gave him a lift from the airstrip to the mansion in one. Elvis took one home with him after doing service in Germany. The Count also worked on the early 911.

Peter Hill