Ok peeps, ebay tips required...

I'm in the process of flogging ye olde Merc on ebay, mainly through boredom.
Don't want huge money for it, I've set the reserve at 200 quid, because
that's the very least I'd take for it. I don't see any point in going through the whole palaver of trying to sell the thing, getting bids of 25.46p and then "withdrawn from auction due to advertised elsewhere" type malarky. So if it's not enough to actually buy it, why make people think it is?
It's on a 3 day auction, because I can't be arsed waiting a week. I'd end up flogging it in the loot otherwise for less than I want
I think the ad is reasonable, think I've covered most of the points, and hope it'll sell. Someone's already bid on it :-D
Any tips?
Oh, and the ad is here
*cue gratuitous spammage*
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $80999014
*end spam*
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL (up for floggage),

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain
Pete M wrote:

/me wonders how close Mr. M is to the ferry...
-- Chet http://www.retro-renault.com 1991 HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there! 1992 Renault 19 16v - Roll on 21/07/2004
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Er, I think there's a Dublin ferry about , oooh, 5 miles from here? And I'm about 6 miles from John Lennon Airport (cheap flights from the IOM)...
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with

Pete M wrote:

Oh dear...
How long you reckon i'd get out of it before i had to throw it away? No i don't wanna know...
-- Chet http://www.retro-renault.com 1991 HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there! 1992 Renault 19 16v - Roll on 21/07/2004

Yeah, your photography is absolutely terrible.
I'm always more tempted to place a bid if someone has taken the time to produce decent shots - and preferably not in a location that looks like a dodgy breaker's yard.
In wrote:

Yeah, I know. .the only photo's I've got of the bloody thing though.. I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow.
Oh, and the dodgy breakers yard happens to be the Limo company HQ :-)
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Well, I sort of guessed that..... still looks well dodgy, though.
<mutters> bloody scousers.
Although not the best of photos, these are the ones I took when I put the Primera on Ebay:
http://ukrm.servebeer.com/primera /
And yes, it failed to reach a sensible price on ebay, so it's still for sale.... first 300 from a uk.rec.cars.* group subscriber can have it ;-)
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ahem, from a Taffy Manc I shall take this as the compliment it surely is ;-)

I like Primeras, but I'm too bloody tall (long in the leg)[1] to get comfy in the mk1s. Otherwise I'd have it.. Besides, I'm on an insane ebay car buying spree at the moment.. it's always nice when ye olde inbox is full of mail about things I actually like.. unfortunately, that appears to be because I'm buying cars like it's going out of fashion.. (Mk1 Primeras having never been *in* fashion are exempt :-p)
[1] 6'2ish but with mega lanky legs.
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain
snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk says...

don't I know that feeling.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Just after I've sent the cheque in the post?
Peter
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

:-o
Heh, well, the Merc didn't sell, which is a bit of a bugger.
So I'll send 'em on when I get the cheque :-P
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain
Pete M wrote:

I can paypal right now :)
-- Chet http://www.retro-renault.com 1991 HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there! 1992 Renault 19 16v - Roll on 21/07/2004

Here's me thinking it could well be worth Pete's while setting up an ebay auction solely for the benefit of us two.
But Pete, I can Paypal right now too.
Peter

Even Brian James Johnson?
Ooooo after seeing the pic of the limo's in the background, was that big black truck jeep limo thing in southampton a few days ago? Saw something very similar, and it was bastard big, along the lines of road going ocean liner!! Much coolness!
Max
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nope, but they do tend to be imported through Soton. There's a big Limo importer fella round them there parts.. Ours came through there, I think it's Soton registered HX52 summatorother
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

boredom.
*snippage of urlness*

2 questions for you goodsir pete: What do you mean by "slippy" autobox? and How frighteningly bad is miles per gallon on a 80's 5.0 litre v8 auto?
Douglas
In decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It slips slightly going into third, or it might be fourth. Revs rise for half a second or so, then it engages properly. According to the previous keeper, who owned it for 100000 miles and about 8 years, it started doing it at about 80k miles, and never got any worse. It's dead easy to drive around it anyway. Takes about 10 minutes to adjust your driving style and after that you just don't notice it. If you give it some proper welly, it locks up exactly as it should. Rest of the time it's just a quirk. My 280TE used to do it as well, must be a sign of a miley old Merc..

Very!
According to the leaflet in the handbook, these are the official MPG figures (government ones, so it's worse than this)
* waves goodbye to potential purchasers *
Simulated urban driving 14.0 mpg 20.2 litres / 100km
Constant speed driving 90kph (56 mph) 24.4 mpg 11.6 litres / 100km
Constant speed driving 120kph (75 mph) 20.2 mpg 14.0 litres / 100km
According to Mercedes, however...
Simulated urban driving 18.6 mpg 15.2 litres / 100km
Constant speed driving 31.0 mpg 9.1 litres / 100km 90 km/h (56 mph)
Constant speed driving 120 km/h (75 mph) 24.8 mpg 11.4 litres / 100km
According to me
bloody awful, but better than the Excursion
--
Pete M - Ford Capri !!! - Mercedes 500 SEL,

Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain
snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk says...

I've posted your Auction on retro rides. the guy that makes the V8 coffee tables, that posted here for a while, posts there too.