OT: Bugger, main PC dead.

Was trying to get myself at least a tiny ammount of future proofing for=20 future games. =20

Then I might just do that.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

=A3500 would keep me happy for a couple of years. I stopped with the=20

5minute upgrades about 10 years, or 2-2.5pcs ago.

A terrabyte of storage is sufficient. I would like a Mac, even an iMac=20 all in tft, but alongside my PC.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Already got a 300gig IDE in a USB case for storing my MP3s on, ontop of the 4hdds in the case.

Reply to
Elder

Dual boot or run VM Ware.

Reply to
SteveH

I am impressed at the ignorance of so many as they queue up to admit that they are too stupid to learn more than one OS and the one they learn has to be crippled before they can understand it.

Never mind, you continue to use your insecure, flaky little boys' computer. I don't mind.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh.

Some advertising for the 'new' eep (or is that Eeep! like a startled mouse?) popped through the letterbox this week, it umm does actually look quite nice in black now it has a decent sized screen.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Even though I've always had AMD systems, Intel CPU's would be the best way to go at the moment. Had a quick look at the reviews for the Phenom and the vast majority weren't very impressed. When compared against it the Intel Q6600 had better performance in most cases and it's cheaper.

Reply to
Homer

The reviews for the B2 xx00 badged phenoms was crap because of a bug in the CPUs that lead to a bios patch that fixed the bug but slammed the performance. B3 xx50 Phenoms don't have that, and aren't slowed by the patch because it doesn't apply.

Reply to
Elder

Any driver issues? Webcams/printers/network/audio devices?

Reply to
Elder

Nah, for that you want a Saab T16S and an Epia Nehemiah. I know I had one just like that.

Reply to
Elder

It'll probably give you a Mac Mini, which may or may not be enough (the latter would be my guess).

Don't discount the iMac if you can get one that ticks all the boxes.

... but keep in mind that any of the consumer boxes cannot be upgraded anyway hardware-wise with the exception of sticking in more RAM.

Yes, but OTOH he hopefully chose exactly the components he needed. Don't get me wrong, I'm typing this on a 24" iMac that happens to be my office and software development machines. But the fact that he could have bought an 8-core MacPro doesn't mean that it would've done everything he needed/wanted.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I don't doubt it - a few of Charlie's buddies are like this. But not all use Macs.

These types! :) Also those who think that they have something better than (insert name of other operating machine), which is fine - but constantly harp on about it.

On the other hand, I also use PalmOS a lot, and PalmOS has traditionally "just worked" with Windows boxes - it'll work with Macs providing you fuss about with other applications. A few years ago I'd just do it, but these days, I just want the box to work.* Plus at the end of the day the cost of the hardware is material in the overall cost of it, since thanks to the corporate scheme I can get M$ Office for either operating system for the price of the media.

*and I have to say that this Windows XP notebook has "just worked" far more than I'd originally have given it credit for.
Reply to
DervMan

Not with any of the stuff I have attached but it's all quite new.

Reply to
Depresion

The new Wind would be better an Atom and 10" screen, 1Gb ram and you can probably bolt it to the glove box lid. I'm thinking of swapping my Eee for one later this year.

Reply to
Depresion

Spend £15 on a SATA DVD drive then you have any IDE channels open for your HDDs

Reply to
Depresion

It's the fixed ones I was reading.

Reply to
Homer

The Archos players are the same, but this reflects a conscious decision on the part of Palm/Archos to cripple their devices. It's not, TBH a Mac issue. If one must have one of those things, then there's Parallels/VM Ware or BootCamp.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hmm, The Tom's Hardware review I read said that for gaming, the 9850 black was as fast as the q6600 at higher resolutions, and only marginally slower than normal stuff, but lets face it, I'm not going to notice the difference.

And AMDs don't use quite as much power at Intels (power = heat = fan noise or elaborate water cooling).

Reply to
Elder

Aye, I always used to be an AMD man, but the Intel CPUs at the moment are miles, miles better than the crap AMD are shunting out. And they're cheaper heh.

Reply to
DanB

You've definitely got that the wrong way round.

It may have been true five years ago but the newer Intels are significantly less power hungry and run cooler than the equivalent AMD. It's partly because the Intels use the newer 45nm technology while AMD is still using the older 65nm processors.

Reply to
Homer