OT: Bugger, main PC dead.

No; I appreciate that. I've not made a conscious decision not to buy a Mac, if you see what I mean, but merely gone for the easier life with regards to gettings things to work. The reason why I'm sticking with PalmOS devices for the time being is because of a suite of Palm applications I've used for ~10 years. It's my primary working computer, come to think of it..

Reply to
DervMan

You miss the point - dumping your 4 old drives means you don't need a big case or IDE support, and also means it runs quieter and uses less power. 1T of SATA disk costs bugger all these days. (except when buying IBM 'Enterprise' kit :-( )

Reply to
Clive George

What is Vista like on a decent spec PC? I'm only used it on some small Optiplex machines I was setting up for a school?

I use 64 bit Vista on my PC, I'm *very* impatient but it all happens quick enough for me. 4gb DDR2, 2.2ghz C2D, and a good Geforce, but I can't remember what number hehe.

Reply to
DanB

A workmate has one. He is an engineer for radio lolipop in his spare time, and they are looking at a system that the engineers can wireless link into the system to work out where the breakdowns are, and route things arround it, or even remotely take over a station and swap it from live feed to syndicated linked feed in the case of technical failure at the studio level, without having to go into location, but do it from wherever they are.

They work quite well.

Reply to
Elder

Just thinking about the extra cost, and I have different drives I use for different things, keeping swap on one, and downloads on another, applications on another and games on another. If any one drive fails, it is a pita, but not everything is kaput. If I store everything on one big partitioned drive I lose that security.

Reply to
Elder

You've got no security anyway. You've got to back the lot up anyway (ok, maybe bar swap). Any extra cost is bugger all, and you'll end up with a smaller quieter system.

Reply to
Clive George

Actually, looking at Ebuyer, I can build a similar q6600 system. for =A3505.31 delivered

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB=20 Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor MSI P7N SLI Platinum nForce 750i SLI Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX=20 Motherboard OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory NVIDIA SLI READY EDITION=20 CL5 Zotac 8800GT 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM Compucase 6XM1 Full Tower Gaming Case with Blue LED Front Panel and 12cm=20 Fan - No PSU Hiper 120mm Case Fan - Clear HiperFlow Frame & Blades - 3pin with=20 Adaptor/Screws Included

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

I've always built my own PCs. A while back I started chasing faults around my old PC, bought a new graphics card but that wouldn't work due to the fact that the motherboard was too old etc (despite both obstensibly being within AGP standards) and I decided to f*ck it off and buy a Dell. You can very quickly spend a fair whack and still not have a working computer, whereas new PCs are available for rather less than the price of the components.

DMX dimension and quidco are two very good sites to look at - the first picks out the big discounts and quidco gives you cashback.

Reply to
Doki

I'm with Tony on this, it was so much cheaper buying a ready built Dell of decent spec than buying all the bits and building one myself.

Vista SP1 runs very well on a machine built to cope with it. I run XPSP2 and Vista at work, not yet had a problem with Vista that wasn't my mistake!

You could also use Linux.

Reply to
Mike P

To get a dell, with no monitor but with cheap keyboard and mouse, same=20 spec as the ones I've been looking at building is =A3679.00 compared to=20 arround =A3500 for the systems I've specced.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

To get a dell, with no monitor but with cheap keyboard and mouse, same spec as the ones I've been looking at building is £679.00 compared to arround £500 for the systems I've specced.

But the Dell does come with a genuine Windows I assume? I know it's still expensive of course. I assume you're planning on running a hooky Vista? If you don't have a source for a genuine key number (so effectivly running a legal copy) it's a right ballache. Trust me heh. I was lucky enoough to be given a key number however :-p

Reply to
DanB

I use topcashback, =A370 back from a home insurance purchase on a =A3160=20 policy, and =A35.61 on a wii from Tesco + 1% cashback on my egg money=20 card.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

I use topcashback, £70 back from a home insurance purchase on a £160 policy, and £5.61 on a wii from Tesco + 1% cashback on my egg money card.

**************************************

Most people using Quidco seem to get more cashback than the cost of their policy for some things hehe!

Reply to
DanB

Haven't decided what OS yet, might even be Ubuntu64 with something else running in Virtualbox seamless and wine.

Reply to
Elder

I've heard Quidco isn't as great as it used to be. Not so many cashbacks track and pay as they should.

Have a look at

Greasy Palm
yes that is an affiliate link that pays me, but only when you have made a certain ammount of cash back, and anyone can use that link, not just you Dan.

Reply to
Elder

I got my cashback from Dell no problems :) First time (and only time) I've used it.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Not had any problems but Ebay have disappeared. Got about £90 since November and another £50 waiting. £20 just for setting up a new bank account.

Reply to
Depresion

I'm going to be buying all the bits and pieces I need for Whitby in=20 October off ebay and making a bit of cashback for xmas.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

You can keep your over priced Wind -

- Exactly the same except possibly a better battery than the Wind... And £80 cheaper :)

Reply to
DanB