More OT PC Guff

Got given a bunch more PC133 RAM and I've decided that I'll have to put up with the PC for a while until I can afford to get a new base unit or guts for this one. Anyway: Abit KT7A and PC133 memory (not DDR) - are there any second hand Athlons I could pick up for a couple of quid and fit?

Reply to
Doki

ebay ?

Reply to
bongo rule

They probably are on there. What I was wondering is if it's possible (did Athlons always require DDR?).

Reply to
Doki

I have a KT7 here running an Athlon 3200XP+

I have the newest firmware too, dunno if it's necessary for the bigger chips.

Reply to
DanTXD

That's a lie. I have a KV7. As you were. KT600 Chipset on this one if that helps.

Reply to
DanTXD

pc chips have adifferant slot than the DDR chips.

if the chips fit into the slots on your mainboard then they will be fine. the pc133 chips are just slower than DDR.

as for the size of the proccessor, your best bet will be to fine the makers web site and run a search on there for the specs for the mainboard.

Reply to
bongo rule

ok just found the web site. the kt7a is no longer made. but it takes PC133 and will Supports up to 1.5GB of PC100/PC133 SDRAM

it do not say anything about it taking DDR RAM.

the site is at

bongo rule

if you need the manual for the KT5A you can get it here, { its a pdf file}

bongo rule

if that link do not work then try here ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/kt7a-raid.pdf

Reply to
bongo rule

Nah, if the board has provisioning for standard SDRAM then it will work fine. Basically PC2100 DDR works @ 266MHz (hence double data-rate) and PC133 works at .. well .. 133MHz. The front side bus on the motherboard will operate at 133MHz, with provisioning for DDR technology.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I've got the manual ta.

Reply to
Doki

Yebbut what I mean is, if an Athlon *needs* DDR, I can't be arsed swapping the RAM, as I'll only have to swap it when I do a proper upgrade (ie, complete PC guts change or new base unit).

Reply to
Doki