OT: DOS PCs

Dad has decided* he wants to run an old computer game, so it's easier to buy an old PC running DOS. Charlie offered my help. I'm like, meh, how the..?

Any ideas other than eBay nonsense?

*like he decided buying a Passat CC diesel was sensible. I know I should be kinda proud, but... like... meh?!
Reply to
DervMan

Download DOSbox ( a DOS emulator) for Windows and run it under that?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You and me both, but Dad is stubborn. "Look, if you're going to waste money on a Passat CC, get a proper engined one, don't opt for the pikey four cylinder diesel." And what does he do?!

Reply to
DervMan

Not a lot of choice, really - 4 pot diesel, 4-pot petrol or the hugely expensive and thirsty VR6.

I hope he's gone for the 170. The 170 CR lump is very good, especially with DSG.

I love the CC, but they should have made more effort with the dash to make it feel a bit more special inside.

Reply to
SteveH

The four pot petrols are pretty good and for their mileage (18,000 in 30 months) make more sense than the diesels.

Of course not; went for the 140 with DSG.

My stepmother is all about how brilliant VW are despite the mess their last car was (basically it never worked properly) and delight in telling me how wonderful the new one is.

It looks oddly proportioned from some aspects and downright funt ugly from others. It's a mess of miss-matched curves, gopping chrome, it sits too high at the back, it has too much orange indicator showing at the front and as you say, the dash is as tepid as anything else from the VW stable.

Worse I'm going to get all the blah-blah-common rail-blah-blah-18" wheels-blah-blah dynamic chassis this-blah-blah-VW are the best *puke* every time we see them for the next six months, which Charlie already finds amusing... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Ahhh, in that case, 2.0T-FSI is the only way forward.

At least it's DSG. And the CRs are very good.

Hmmmm, I think it's the car the B6 Passat should have been from the start. The dash is perfectly OK for a large family / middle management type car, but it's not special enough if you're going to market the car as something special.

Well, the chassis changes are supposed to have improved a car that already drives very well.

Reply to
SteveH

I think you mean, "finally class competitive after lagging for a few years" heh.

It's reckoned to be called a niche product by my buddy in a VW dealer for people who are happy to pay a few grand more for a lowered, four-seat-only Passat. In other words, it's a clever way to extract more money from the Golf platform.

It drives okay, but it isn't a sports car, which is how the GT CR 140 DSG will be touted by my folks...

Now the Golf platform has the Golf, the lardy Golf, the long wagon Golf, the long saloon Golf, the long wagon Golf and the pimped and long Golf all wearing VW badges...

Reply to
DervMan

Bollocks - nothing wrong with the PDs. They were a lot more robust than a CR in many ways. Just a shame they had a few issues with turbo seals if you didn't check the oil regularly.

I found the PD was a lot more flexible than most CR lumps.

The new VAG CRs have successfully blended the flexibility of the PDs with the more rev-happy nature of a CR.

At least, that was my impression from the A4 I tried with the CR lump.

Although my favourite was the Passat TDI-170 PD DSG.

Whilst this is true, I still think they should have launched the CC as the mainstream Passat, but with the normal Passat bench seat, IYSWIM.

It's actually a more practical car - the boot of the CC is significantly bigger, with the seats up, than the standard car.

Heh.

Well, GM had the Vectra, the smaller Vectra with a posh badge, the bigger Vectra with a posh badge.... and that's just the European models, I'm sure it was used as a platform for a number of Merkin cars and will form the basis of a few Daeworolets, too.

Reply to
SteveH

I was going to suggest VMWare and DOS 6.22....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The correct newsgroup would be an excellent start. I take it you do have a decent newsfeed including computer groups, maybe a web browser and Google? Why be such an idiot as to post off topic posts when you know they are off topic and have nothing to do with the group you are in? I can never work out why people such as yourself appear to be so genuinely thick! Are you one of the latest generation of completely helpless school leavers that can't do a thing for themselves?

Reply to
Ian Vandahl

Who he ?......

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Oh look, it's Ian again. Do be a nice chap and f*ck off..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

HTH

Reply to
JackH

Don't bother with an old PC, try this:

Works a treat

Reply to
Abo

Didn't BMW do this for a while too?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Derv, you're old enough to know better. People do not want to know your opinion on whatever widget they're buying unless they ask you for it. Giving it to them is a good way to waste your breath and make them think you're a bit of a know it all...

Reply to
Doki

Virtualbox is free.

Reply to
Elder

So is VMWare server, these days.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

LOL; I didn't give them my opinion on the CC, that was my comment to Charlie.

Derv Senior and I are very much alike. I listen to him as much as he listens to me about cars. ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, didn't the I6s in the E39 onwards do this? Easy to spot - most owners have one clean tailpipe and one sooty tail pipe... :)

Reply to
DervMan