Tomorrow I am

Going for welding lessons....

I can already mig weld - but anyone can do that, it'slike painting the bits together.

So, tomorrow I am going for a session with a tig welding guru. He's also lending me an inverter setup with tig torch to take home and practice on. Hopefully, this means that I will finally be able to make up these exhaust headers for the bike engine.

Strangely looking forward to it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Build a giant robot to crush Tokyo and fight Godzilla!

Reply to
DanB

Forget the welding.

Is this empty parking space in your sig to be filled ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I dunno, but the Clio went on Tuesday and a 19 year old kid, paying £1,600 fully comp with a £1,500 excess, left me a HUGE pile of 20s an 50s (only £1,500 of it was 50s, that equals a LOT of 20s). He looked about 16, max though, and like a little geek heh, he's so not gonna have sex ever. Still, he seemed like a nice enough lad, and really didn't look like someone who was gonna drive it like a wanker and stack it.

He brought his dad too and, oh my, what an unbeleiveable tosser... Firstly, he had mum check all the tyres - to make sure they were right. I doubt mum even knew how, but she said the right numbers from the book anyway heh. He kept telling us about one they had agreed to buy, but had then been sold to someone else, and allegedly it was only £10.5k, despite been a 57, with 8k miles, a load of options - so, worth easily £12.5k, hell a trader offered me £10.5k for mine ffs, and yet this garage/trader was selling this one £2k under what they could easily get for it - it was a full £1k cheaper than the cheapest F1 on the autotrader, and £2k cheaper than the cheapest Liquid Yellow F1. Also, it wasn't advertised on Autotrader, Pistonheads or Cliosport - yet they found it advertised somewhere...

Anyway, so he kept mentioning this, presumably so we might feel sorry for him, and just go "Oh ok, we'll knock a grand off then, just so you don't feel sad" - but no, apparently, even though they have no way of knowing the owner (the car was in Scotland, they were in Swansea...) they found out that the next day after buying it, the engine blew up! A light didn't come on, it didn't stop or go into limp home before it hurt itself, oh no, the engine blew up. Right. Sure it did chief. You randomly found out, presumably through a very long grape vine, that the car of someone you don't know, did something that no other 197 has done as far as I know (shit loads on ClioSport), or in fact could do before the computery bits stopped or restricted the engine... And that was just the start of his bollocks - he was just a never ending stream of "I think I know everything about everything" - just continually banging on about things he knew nothing about. It was like listening to some people in here, but in real life, which it turns out is INCREDIBLY annoying.

Anyway, after they'd paid and things were signed, Mum drove him an his mate who'd come along too, in the Clio to the DVLA office in Beverley as they had to change the tax class, from disabled to normal petrol car. Mum said that on the way he was just almost beside himself with excitement, and all the way he was saying "Wow I wish my mum or dad drove like this, I don't know any parents that drive this quick!". After they got to Beverley his dad came over and said "You weren't wasting any time on the way here were you" and mum said she didn't really know what to say. She told me all this when she got back, and then was like "I'm not sure what they all drive like, but I never went over 70, and I only overtook a tractor and a couple of dawdling old people".

Once this was all done, and they left all happily with MY Clio, dad got there in the Arosa to meet mum, and also, they then met a guy from a garage who'd driven to meet them in an 02 plate Fiat Doblo 1.9 JTD ELX, which they were trading the Arosa in for. Cost £1,990 to swap, the Fiat been £3,990, and we got £2k for the Arosa. The Doblo though has had a wheelchair conversion at a cost of £6k (invoice included in the history) so you can just roll a wheelchair straight up into the back. It was pretty major, the fuel tank/pump had had to be moved and shit it seems! Anyway, so now, we have that which mum'll use to go to work, take the dog places as well, and if I like I have the option of going out for a little fresh air as well :-) And of course they still have the Mondeo, just for their regular car use/dad to go to work etc. But the Doblo - ugliest car ever? Aside from that thing Toyota thing Carl posted earlier.

And finally, re: my sig, I don't think I can bring myself to put the Doblo in there, it's just shamefully, and diesel... Although, the logbook is my name...

Reply to
DanB

Clio gone? Going auto barge?

Reply to
Elder

See other reply to Bob for lengthly stories and unnecessary irrelevent rambling :-)

Reply to
DanB

In this thread?

Reply to
Elder

Yea, at 22:08. It's 6kb, I rambled a bit :-)

Reply to
DanB

ah man i feel so bad for you sometimes dan, selling your V6 clio and downgrading (in my eyes) to a new shape 197 and THEN selling it to some chav (come on he sounded like one) who probably won't crash it but will have to sell it next year when the insurance goes up due to him having countless points from speeding in it.

doblo! saidly i know what they look like, they're a bit like a kangoo. they come in car and van form and are both from experience....... s**te!

when i sold my MR2 turbo the guy that bought it was alright, he was a bit of a VW nut at heart and had a scirocco. anyway hes had my car for nearly 3 years and kept it standard apart from ditching my radio and speakers for some better ones. oh and he only has the standard headlights as i kept the HID kit i had in it. anyway he sold the scirocco but kept the MR2 and has been looking after it well. in 3 years he's had a wheel bearing go and the front suspension has a knock which he thinks might be just worn bushes.

miss my MR2 and i bet you feel the same bout your clio mate.

still chin up and kept an eye out for something to replace the doblo, something with a V8 would be cool :)

Reply to
Vamp

Just found it. Shit deal, but you still got mobility for now.

Reply to
Elder

He was the least chavvy person I have ever met... And the 197 was miles, miles better than the Vee. Towards the end I just couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was slow, for what it was and how much it drank, and it cornered like you'd expect a 1400kg Clio too - but with shocking weight distribution. If anyones ever trying to sell you one, and thinking up reasons why the Mk1 is better than the Mk2, they're lying. The Mk2 was actually developed, the Mk1 was just stuck together...

Well, s**te in what way? Did you expect it to be fast? Did you think it would handle well? Do other car derived vans look better like say, a Berlingo? Yes, it's not what I'd choose, but it has a wheelchair ramp which unfortunately has to come before other considerations.

Aye cheers dude :-) Burgermans big old VR6 VW van thinger that he used before his new Dodge would've been sweet, I should've got in touch and made him an offer. Burgerman, if you're reading, reply mail is valid!

Yea I loved the R27, it was the best car I've ever owned, probably the best I've ever driven from a fun point of view. I'm scratching my head to think of anything I enjoyed driving more, including some rather lovely cars, and some very fast cars, but all round combo... I think I'd have kept it for quite a while :-) Unless they brought out a R27.R like the Megane R26.R due for release (and already available heavily discounted...). Then I could be pursuaded, in Lunar Grey, black wheels, roll cage, Cup tyres, titanium exhaust, poly carb rear windows, carbon bonnet, colour your own Megane here hehe -

- although I'd want Lunar for the rare factor, black on black looks good...

Reply to
DanB

He didn't reckon it was pinking as well, did he?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Weirdly, I didn't view that as unneccessary irrelevant rambling!

And I don't quite get why a V6 Clio should have a s**te turning circle? In theory shouldn't it have a really good one? (RWD, little car)

Reply to
AstraVanMann

i meant s**te compared to whatever your used to, they are a 'practical' mode of transport rather than a 'fast' mode. only car derived van i don't mind are astra vans but i doubt you'd ever get a wheelchair in one.

still at the moment it can get you around which is the important thing huh.

ah that's more like it lol

not a fan of the megane but a clio done like that would be pretty sweet!

Reply to
Vamp

yeah i mean there's no engine to get in the way as its in the back?

Reply to
Vamp

Yes, but then you're from Essex aren't you?

And we all know how much an Essex boy loves a Vauxhall. ;-)

That's exactly why it is a good thing for Dan.

Reply to
JackH

Sp how is the Doblo, other than slow? I was thinking of getting one as Yet Another Farm Vehicle. They seem like giant, cheap, sheds which is what I want.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Father is on his third... no serious issues with any as of yet bar the first one which was the slowest and yet had a big appetite for front tyres - Fiat always claimed there was nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
JackH

no mate thats fords :) and i aint originally from essex so sadly not a complete essex boy, not that its a bad thing mind!

Reply to
Vamp

there cheap and tend to be reliable from ones i've seen come off leasing. even at 100k they seem ok. others to consider are peugeot partner, renault kangoo and citroens berlingo.

ah christ since when did i know bout vans! *shakes head in shame*

Reply to
Vamp