OT: Slug

All you North-East Scotlanders:

I drove the A957 Slug road today. It was full of caravans, learner drivers and solid white lines where I could definately see far enough to overtake but was behaving myself so didn't.

It was a 30-40mph bimble, which, compared to the rest of today's little jaunt was a bit shit. I nearly cursed all you who recommended it (That means you Plowman, AJM and others).

I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt though. I might try it in the middle of the night next time.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Now you know why it's called the slug road...;-)

During the week it's ok. But best very early in the morning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Giving as poor, bored underperforming plod something to achieve his targets with. 2 white lines, and a fast bike. All they need.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You are allowed to overtake very slow moving vehicles on double white lines.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought they had to pull over and allow vehicles to pass if they were holding up a queue of traffic (obviously within the speed limit). Is that a law?

Reply to
JohnR

I found a new one last weekend in the Westfield. B9119 from Echt to Burn O' Vat (about 5 miles from Ballater), about 40 miles of deserted road over the hills. Only met two cars on the whole journey and they were both nice enough to make it easy for me to get past.

Reply to
Homer

Interesting, I don't think I've ever been much further than Echt on the B9119, but it is in pretty good nick up untill then.

Will check it out next time I go for a blast.

Burn O'Vat is quite cool too, if you're a geological features kind of chap.

When are you giving me a shot of the Westfield? (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I don't think that's true ?

Reply to
Nom

No, it is true. It's just that the definition of 'very slow moving' is in fact almost stationary - the only things I ever see going slow enough are either horse drawn or me going up a pretty steep hill. Certainly all the agricultural stuff round here manages 20mph+ which is too fast.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

HC.

108. Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road.

You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they they are travelling at 1Omph or less.

Tractors often maintain road verges. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Someone wants to have a word with all those lorries doing it on NSL single carriageway roads then!

In all seriousness, they ought to look at having too great a speed differential between limits on the same type of road for different vehicles, such as 40 limits on NSL s/c roads for HGVs. I can't see any reason in the world why it shouldn't be 50mph.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Agreed.

If all freight were moved by rail, the only lorries we'd see on the roads were those travelling from-railway-to-destination :)

I would imagine the thinking is along the lines of "if a lorry crashes through something at 50mph, then there will be excessive badness" - with "through" being the operative word :)

Suzuki Vitara Man had *NO* excuse whatsoever. He was holding me up, when I was attempting to get to a funeral. It's socially unnaceptable, not to keep up with the traffic flow.

Reply to
Nom