Paging the VW / Audi owners

It seems my new purchase only comes with one proper key plus the valet key.

Anyone have any idea how to identify replacement remote 'plip' bits for the keys? - they're stupidly expensive from a VAG dealer, but they're available on ebay for very little cash.

What I'm hoping is that the 'flip' type keys will work with the Passat.

Anyone got a clue? - Astravanman? Ronny?

Reply to
SteveH

Mine has the newer "switchblade" style key, I have 2 of them, but no valet key.

Apparently you can programme the newer type passat key fob with your car and use one bought from eBay.

Looks like you might have to invest in a OBD2 tool and a laptop :)

My old Audi had the non switchblade one, I always wanted the newer type though.

Reply to
Ronny

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Ronny decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A Passat the same age as Steves should have the switchblade style key. Passats had them in 98.

Reply to
Pete M

It doesn't. It has a standard 2-button key.

Reply to
SteveH

odd our s reg golf gti had it

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My 97/R A4 didn't come with switchblades.

Reply to
Grant

They do work with the passat, girl in work has a Y reg passat and she has a flip key. Same as my audi one although heres only has 2 buttons and not the

3 like mine (boot release being the extra one)

Theres a bloke with an S reg passat but im not sure if he has a flip or not as i know he uses his plain one for work as its easier to take the gym at lunch, so i presume he has a bulkier one of some sort!?!?!?

Mark

Reply to
MarkC

checked with bloke in work today and his S reg passat came with a flip type key a 'normal' key and one of them plastic type keys.

Mark

Reply to
MarkC