Spare keys?

I have a new '06 MCS. I have the standard complement of two full remote-key-fob keys plus the plastic "spare" key.

1) rumor has it that the spare key will only work a certain number of times before ??? What? the car locks up? The spare doesn't work anymore -- permanently? until you use the real key again? what?

2) The dealer implies that there is no middle cost key - e.g. a real metal key (w/o remote) but better than the "spare". Is this true? I would really like a real, metal key, with RFID, but not the remote control bits, so that I can safely take it in my bathing suit into the ocean for a swim, etc... I thought there was a "valet key" available that was what I wanted, but I don't remember where I heard this...

Does anyone have a source for "real" keys that don't have the remote control built in?

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

Sorry J.P.B, wrong News group, try alt.autos.new-mini Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

He did! Duh! Maybe YOU are in the wrong newsgroup!

Reply to
captdan

newsgroup!

Duh,,, is right, looking at shoes and shaking ones head, my apologies J.P.B Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Nice one Fitzy, you owe me a new keyboard. This one won't last long after the mouthfull of coffee I've just deposited in it.

Reply to
Brownz (mobile)

Aren't we already in a.a.n-m? :)

Reply to
dauph59

I'm not positive, I'm only passing along this information. On the "North American Motoring" web site I found some good info on the "valet" keys. Check it out:

dauph

Reply to
dauph59

Bingo! That's where I remember reading about the "$35" key.

I guess I'll just have to go to the dealer and try to order one.

Thanks for the l>> I have a new '06 MCS. I have the standard complement of two full

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt

I need to get a new key or two as well. I just bought my MINI a few months ago, but it was an '02 MCS, and only came with one key! I'm living dangerously, I know!

dauph

J. Patrick Brandt wrote:

Reply to
dauph59

I don't know anything about keys for new minis I must confess! but try looking at master automotive locksmiths, I have a Audi which I was told would cost me £230 for a replacement key by the dealer, this had to be ordered from Germany & laser cut then programmed to the car I was told, I was then told also as a security measure I would have to provided 3 forms of ID to prove the car was mine plus the log book, a quick search on Google pointed me to a master locksmith who cut a new key & cloned the chip in it, total price £30, no ID either, which proved main dealers tell lies!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Dauph59 -

I just bought an '02 Mini and have the same situation.... it only came with one key. I just went to the Mini dealer here in Minneapolis and bought a full metal spare for $43 + tax. It looks just like the regular key but does not have remote control capabilities. Ordered it today and I should have it in 3 business days.

They also offer a plastic (?) wallet key for ~$56, which I decided not to pursue.

Jim

Reply to
jmk

Yup - confirmed that I can get a full non-remote key from a different Mini dealer.

$36+Tax, pay first, must have current ID and registration. 3 business days for delivery.

Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt