Spare keys?

I have a new '06 MCS. I have the standard complement of two full remote-key-fob keys plus the plastic "spare" key.
1) rumor has it that the spare key will only work a certain number of times
before ??? What? the car locks up? The spare doesn't work anymore -- permanently? until you use the real key again? what?
2) The dealer implies that there is no middle cost key - e.g. a real metal key (w/o remote) but better than the "spare". Is this true? I would really like a real, metal key, with RFID, but not the remote control bits, so that I can safely take it in my bathing suit into the ocean for a swim, etc... I thought there was a "valet key" available that was what I wanted, but I don't remember where I heard this...
Does anyone have a source for "real" keys that don't have the remote control built in?

Sorry J.P.B, wrong News group, try alt.autos.new-mini Fitzy
Fitzy wrote:

He did! Duh! Maybe YOU are in the wrong newsgroup!

newsgroup!
Duh,,, is right, looking at shoes and shaking ones head, my apologies J.P.B Fitzy
Fitzy wrote:

Nice one Fitzy, you owe me a new keyboard. This one won't last long after the mouthfull of coffee I've just deposited in it.
--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org /
Fitzy wrote:

Aren't we already in a.a.n-m? :)
J. Patrick Brandt wrote:

I'm not positive, I'm only passing along this information. On the "North American Motoring" web site I found some good info on the "valet" keys. Check it out:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?ta035&page=2
dauph
Bingo! That's where I remember reading about the "$35" key.
I guess I'll just have to go to the dealer and try to order one.
Thanks for the link, it was bugging me where I saw it.

I need to get a new key or two as well. I just bought my MINI a few months ago, but it was an '02 MCS, and only came with one key! I'm living dangerously, I know!
dauph
J. Patrick Brandt wrote:

Dauph59 -
I just bought an '02 Mini and have the same situation.... it only came with one key. I just went to the Mini dealer here in Minneapolis and bought a full metal spare for $43 + tax. It looks just like the regular key but does not have remote control capabilities. Ordered it today and I should have it in 3 business days.
They also offer a plastic (?) wallet key for ~$56, which I decided not to pursue.
Jim
--

"dauph59" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%Q3ig.7637$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
Yup - confirmed that I can get a full non-remote key from a different Mini dealer.
$36+Tax, pay first, must have current ID and registration. 3 business days for delivery.

I don't know anything about keys for new minis I must confess! but try looking at master automotive locksmiths, I have a Audi which I was told would cost me 230 for a replacement key by the dealer, this had to be ordered from Germany & laser cut then programmed to the car I was told, I was then told also as a security measure I would have to provided 3 forms of ID to prove the car was mine plus the log book, a quick search on Google pointed me to a master locksmith who cut a new key & cloned the chip in it, total price 30, no ID either, which proved main dealers tell lies!
Steve.