Parking Sensors

Seems there are two types:

Ultrasonic and Electomagnetic

Which is better? Or is it a case of pros and cons with each

Thanks

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Correct. The 'No' bit that is. If you're implying that parking sensors are expensive and somehow lower people.

Reply to
Lordy

much like not getting a car with power steering and going to the gym instead?

Reply to
Theo

Heh, nice analogy :)

Reply to
Lordy

Manufacturers stated a reason for parking sensors was for people with mobility problems i.e. turning their head round or looking over their shoulder.

Reply to
Joe

Not just that, there are lots of perfectly normal people who through no fault of their own are just no good with judging gaps and distances accurately. Even for people who have no problem, modern cars with their curves and large bumpers still do their best to make it as hard a job as possible to judge to the last Nth degree. Parking sensors are just another electronic aid that helps people. Should everyone learn to 'read a map properly' rather than specify their cars with SatNav too ?

To all those people who scoff at parking sensors, think on this; fair enough *you* may be God's gift to parking but those people who are not are out there and at some time or another they are going to try and park next to *your* car. Wouldn't you want them to have all the help they can get ?

Reply to
Lordy

I think they're great - I like gadgets. I don't have parking sensors and have to parallel park quite often on my rounds at work. I don't find it a problem at all, in fact with the amount of practice I get, I can park very quickly now and without problem (I was pretty terrible when I first passed my test). However, I have a saloon car with a long boot and it's always been slightly difficult to judge *exactly* how far I am in front of a stationary obstacle. I challenge anyone to give me exact distances of the bumper to a car/wall behind it in my car (any car for that matter). So, it's always gonna be a bit of guesswork. And yes, once or twice over the years, I have pushed it too far and actually reversed into something. I have to say, it's highly embarrassing and I think I'd rather have some sensors on the car instead for those really tight spaces that are difficult to get in/out of.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

ouch, thanks for biting my head off. I didnt say that they were a bad idea I just suggested that maybe purchasing a car without them may save a little cash, never said I was gods gift

Don't automatically think someone is having a go and go on the offensive

Reply to
Jon

In article , snipped-for-privacy@myarse.cum spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You haven't been here long have you ;) jon meet Lordy. Lordy, play nice, you can tell him to "Fuck off" next time M,kay

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hehe, I'll play nice :)

I didn't specifically mean you tho btw, there's just a general atmosphere regarding parking sensors in that anyone who likes them can't park. Like I said, personally I think anything that stops other braindead morons from backing in to my car has to be a great idea.

Reply to
Lordy

Surely no power steering means you need to spend less time at the gym, if you're the type who likes running on the spot whilst watching silent sky news?

Reply to
Doki

Yeah and you can watch out for me ;) I forgot to point out in my previous post, as well as having a taste for attempting to fit my car into incredibly small spaces, it also happens to be a Peugeot 305 - which has big, sticky-out bumpers made of thick metal which are bolted quite rigidly to the chassis. I think I could destroy just about any modern bumper with a bit of a nudge ;) Perhaps that's a good reason for me to get parking sensors fitted - would probably be the only 80's car around here with em anyway.. then maybe I could get sat-nav and TV screens... hmm...

Or maybe a new car?

Reply to
Chris B

In article , lord snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Define modern? Bet my '80's Saab could give it a go.

Oh on the subject of sensors, satnav and TV Screens, go the CarPC route, I have in the Saab (although I blew up the screen and haven't replaced the parts yet) Ask Ronny when he's arround, it is far cheaper and better than the stupidly expensive dedicated incar DVD/Nav systems.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

i've never seen a van or truck fitted with parking sensors so where are you coming from?

Reply to
Joe

Presumably they can only advance, still works but takes an extra 360 something degrees.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Our vans have parking sensors... didn't stop one of the drivers backing into a post, though :-(

Reply to
SteveH

How do they manage to set their ignition timing then?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bloody useless things IMO. I borrowed a BMW fitted with them (horrid car) the parking sensor starts to go mental when you are five feet away from an object. I can fit the Ford into a parking space 4ft longer than the Ford. I can't see how they help parking when from five foot away from the object up to contact you just get a solid tone.

Also doesn't work with chain link fences nor with the bollards in some car parks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

surely, if you take an extra 360something degrees, you just advance again.... Maybe you meant 350something...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp