Pls help me out with this one guys.. :(

Hello guys,

I have a problem with my car, it's power steering. under the bonet of the engine, if I look below/behind the engine block I can normally see the 2 steering rods going to the wheels, these metal rods have some rubber sleeve going up them 1/4 way right? I hope you guys know what I'm talking about. Anyway, there's a leak somewhere and very thick black greasy stuff occationally drips out of the end of the rubber sleeve and drips slowly onto my garage floor. What is that stuff and what could be wrong? I know there is surely something to do with the power steering system. I have checked the power steering fluid level and it's ok, besides... power steering fluid is thin and pinkish... what's that thick black stuff that's dripping out?

btw, I find it harder to turn the steering nowadays too.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Su

Grease from the steering rack ball joints. Gaiter is split. Have it replaced asap to avoid buggering the ball joint.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Hi there Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I was just wondering how urgent is this thing? It can wait about 3 - 4 days right?

would it be difficult to get it replaced or expensive?

Thanks again mate.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Su

At last Brian with a decent question!

You want to get your gaiters looked at as it does sound like grease rather than PSF. While you're at it it'd be worthwhile to ask for the joints to be cleaned and fresh grease applied.

Get this done ASAP.

I had a similar problem with a bit of a leaky rack - but it was less greasy than you describe. Using Slick 50 power steering fluid worked well.

I put the Slick 50 in and it seemed to consume the stuff but the leak stopped (I guess it refortified the seals and got used up there somehow) and then I bled the whole system and put normal PSF in and it was absolutely fine ever since. It might be worth treating your steering system to some of the Slick 50 stuff - it quietened my steering down as well.

Reply to
Fishman19

Hey there, thanks alot :)

I just got the car back from the mechanic. According to him, the drive shaft cap had broken so he got it replaced. hmm.. I find it weird too because I was very sure it was from the steering rack, or somewhere in the power steering system. I checked it, it was definitely leaking from there.

What could be wrong here? hmmm...

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

Not sure exactly what you mean by driveshaft cap, but assuming you mean one of the CV boots, then a leaking one will quite easily chuck black grease everywhere!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

There is of course the chance that he got confused and used the wrong terminology - the driveshaft gaiter (or is it gaitor?), which is made of rubber and is fitted around the grease-packed CV joints, can split and chuck grease everywhere as it spins around. The gaiter on the steering tie-rod (or whatever it's called) does a similar job, except it doesn't spin around like a driveshaft does. Maybe he was just using the name for one for the other, IYSWIM.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yep, wouldn't use the gearbox/engine additive, but the steering fluid, rather than steering additive seems to work really well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo