Power/Weight ratio of a horse

I was thinking the other day, that the peak power of my car is 140bhp, which is theoretically (or more, historically) broadly equivalent to the power that 140 horses would provide, if all working optimally and together.

But even if 140 horses were to work together to pull, let's say, some form of cart, would the power really be all that useable? Would the horses not just end up bumping in to each other?

Let's take this a step further - let's say the 140 horses were all arranged in some sort of formation, with some form of framework, that prevented them from accidentally running into each other, and just for argument's sake let's say this framework doesn't weight anything (which of course it would, but this is just theoretical). The horses at the front would not only be pulling along the weight of the cart, but also the weight of the other horses, plus their own weight.

So one horse power in actual terms is the same in terms of power, but a horse must surely weigh something - I'm guessing around 200-250kg (complete guess), so the power to weight ratio of a horse really isn't all that impressive, and the power to weight ratio of, say, 140 horses all working together (not taking into account the framework type device), would be actually quite abysmal.

But I suppose it's a measure we're all familiar with, and that's what counts.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

after perusing this.. I started thinking...

came to the conclusion...

YOU HAVE TOO MUCH FREE TIME!!! lmao

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

ROFL! Well I haven't posted much to usenet in a while, so I thought I'd write something a bit different. Might submit it for publication to a few motoring magazines :-)

Peter

P.S. Note to self: add "get life" to to-do list

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Strange as it may seem horses develop more that 1hp, a big shire horse produces about 10 (quite heavy though).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

Buggers up its power to weight ratio, see :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

[snip]

Were you stuck on the motorway in traffic?

I hope so... :)

Reply to
DervMan

'umans produce more than one hp, too...

Reply to
DervMan

No, just like a million candlepower light would be a tad more useful than one million candles.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The way that Horse Power was invented for use of a better word. Was that James Watt wanted to produce a way of measuring power and giving it a suitable termanology. So he just grabed any old horse that was standing around and strapped it to a treadmill and measured its output. It was never documented what bread of horse he used though. Rich

Reply to
Richard Brant

thats not how horspower works, afaik its lifting no pulling

Reply to
Theo

bread?

Reply to
Theo

You reckon?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You're right. IIRC Watt specified as a horsepower as so many hundredweight lifted so many yards in a certain amount of time. I think the idea came from lifting coal out of mines. I'm sure it can be looked up somewhere but I can't be arsed.

Reply to
Doki

I suppose it depends on usage. One million candles would be more useful in a very large convent.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I dyno tested my mate who was a pro cyclist, and he averaged 1.31bhp for a good few seconds. Amazing thing is he made over 95 lb-ft of torque. Thats more than most

1000cc bikes... But at very low rpm...
Reply to
Burgerman

Breed even, I do spell check but of course bread is a correct spelling.

Reply to
Richard Brant

Then he added a nice big fudge factor to ensure his mechanical horse was a good un - 1/0.6 = 1 2/3 of any normal horse put to the mill.

Peter Hill

The Shire would be very sorry looking (as in RSPCA would be calling on you) if put to work on the capstan of a mill for 8 hours at even 1hp continuous.

The rated horse power is based on continuous work over a 8h long day not a 10 second sprint.

Give me big enough lever and one handed at Zero rpm I could make a Deltic running at it's max torque rpm look weak. Lets see I can make a normal torque wrench less than 1m long go click one handed at 200Nm (my other hand is usually braced against something firm). So with a

10m long one I could swing 2000Nm easy. I'm stood on a real giant's shoulders but a bit more modest in my claims.

Peter Hill

Not seen Ben-Hur then? Romans did it, they called it chariot racing.

Peter Hill

Go and read

Nom