Citroen XM TDi

Anyone got any idea what exact engine is in this?

As far as I knew Citroen/Pug didn't use any direct injection TD engines until they got to the HDI - anyone care to correct me? Was it a Pug/Cit engine, or was it borrowed from another manufacturer (VAG??).

I'm seriously tempted, as a bloke at work easily fitted a fully stacked pallet in his old BX Estate, and ever since then I've been overwhelmed by how low the floor is, and consequentially how much you can get in those things, and obviously the XM is even bigger!

Mind you, even though the load space is clearly miles bigger, I still don't think that could tempt me away from the Audi! I do like electric seats though!

By the way, how much difference would there be in load space between an XM Estate and a Volvo 960 - I'm thinking there's really not going to be all that much in it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's this that I'm waffling on about by the way:

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

They changed the old XU engines to DI, added common rail injection and badged them HDI.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

That's at least £1k overpriced and it's not yet made it's reserve.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah right - I take it they didn't make too many of them then - haven't heard of them before.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yep, does seem a tad expensive. And it doesn't even have leather. Though one at the right price could be tempting.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm sure I've seen transit sized peugeot vans claiming they are 2.5TD. Dunno if it's a non pug engine though. I'd have thought it unlikely as they were supplying diesel engines to all sorts of people at the time of the XM but I am willing to be proved wrong.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@withthanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's a 2.5TD estate? Blimey, that's not overpriced at all, then. In fact, if it stays there, that's a good deal.

It's not a common-rail diesel like the HDi, but it is direct injection. It's a *stonker* of a motor, and makes a good car fantastic. It is a PSA motor, and is fundamentally the same as the 2.5 in the Cit Jumper/Pug Boxer/Fiat Ducato vans, but higher tune. Don't know why the new engine was needed - they've certainly no reputation for fragility.

It's a very different kettle of fish to the 2.1TD - not a bad motor, but no way in the same league as the 2.5TD.

The XM's a damn good car - but make sure the climate control all works fine, and the electric windows all work - the window motors are prone to snapping their cable (but the pre-96 type are available for about £90 each). Other than that, there's very little to worry about. Change the LHM and all eight spheres, and it'll ride and handle beautifully.

Adding cruise control to a 2.5 is VERY easy, too, apparently. Just plug the switch and the stalk in.

Wobbly-web alloys, too.

Reply to
Adrian

Erm, XU? TU...

And the 2.5 is something else.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Should I? Anyone?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When Steve said it was overpriced I was inclined to agree, especially with the reserve not met, but then I looked at AutoTrader and got the impression that to find a 2.5TDi even for sale is pretty rare - there's only 3 or 4 on AutoTrader, starting at £2k, ones priced at £3495 (definitely too high!), and I get the impression this is the relatively rare one that's really worth getting.

LHM? What's one of them then?

Like the idea of that.

And it's only a 15-minute drive away from me. Can this tempt me away from my Audi though? I'd dearly love to have both, but lack of my own house, and

4 cars in the family does make that just a bit impossible without major headache! Plus the change left after selling the Audi and getting the Citron (deliberate mispeling!) would go a reasonable way towards getting me a foot on the property ladder.

But I do love my Audi...........

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Gah, scratch that. I'm having one of those days. I'm so used to referring to the engines in AXs as TUD with an R in, then forgetting my XU engines.

Anyway, the 2.5 isn't either. It's a bloody good engine as long as the head gasket doesn't go.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Much as I like the Audi the XM's boot, especially the bit that's hidden from view is much more cavernous.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Absolutely - a whole lot bigger. Any idea how it'd compare to the bigger Volvo estates like the 960?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The XM is so big, without climate control, it'd generate its own weather systems in the back...

Reply to
DervMan

Ew, not a VAG (sorry Peter!), but a PSA donk.

The 2.5 is rare in the UK, but reasonably common. The 2.1 litre indirect injection is the one most people see (it also saw service in the Xantia, 406 and 605).

Hmmm. To be fair, keep the Audi, or swap it for the XM.

Actually, close eBay, step away from the computer. You waited ages to find the Audi, now you're going behind its back and dribbling over other diesel estates! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

/voices in head/

Step away from the computer. Step away from the computer.

Guess I'm becoming a proper diesel-head! It'll start getting all jealous and start playing up on me now! Well if it does, there's a lovely XM 10 miles down the road :-)

Still, all this torque of diesel - with Pete going on about his V8 Merc, I'd still long for something with that sort of lazy torque. If I was doing less miles, or could have two cars.............

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's bigger.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

74

Christ, i think i could get my 405 in that boot...i thought 185bhp was a bit much tho ;) LOT of torque there as well....

Get it! Keep the audi in the boot...

Reply to
Dan405

Er, what ?

Have you gone insane ?

You're seriously considering swapping your Audi A6 TDi Estate, for a tatty old Citroen XM ?!?!?!?

Reply to
Nom