Question for the volvisti

If a 740 turbo is described as 740 Turbo intercooler, will it be a 2 litre or a 2.3 or were they all 2.3?

Just curious

Reply to
carl.robson

2.3 methinks. 4 pot though, not the 5 pot like in mine.

Beware the auto boxes!

Reply to
Pete M

From memory, the 2.0-litre turbo didn't make it into the 740, and was only used in the later 940.

Parkers, for what it is worth, seems to confirm this.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Dunno but we borrowed one once. It was pretty horrendous.

Reply to
Doki

Your memory is slightly off :). The 740 Turbo estate I had earlier in the year was definitely the 2.0.

Reply to
Timo on tour

I'm not thinking pretty, just rwd, manual, turbo, tunable, cheap, disposable.

And also a saloon because they are worth even less than the estate. Throw out everything that can be, get some 17" steel pug rims banded for width and sticky tyres, hit with the Schtick and track it.

Reply to
Elder

I knew it wasn't a 5 and was thinking manual anyway.

Mind you, wonder what a 740 T5 would be like. Better 5 pot engine, better rwd. Hmm.

Planning for when this current wonderful gloom lifts and the disposable becomes disposable again, see if I can stick together a stripped down road legal track motor out of a saloon for peanuts.

Reply to
Elder

You can have my gorgeous Golf if you find some money quickly...

Pete M

Dont underestimate the 740's redblock, they're immensly tunable. Standard upgrades for uber powers is whack on the 16v head from the GLT, crank from a Penta engine to increase the capacity to 2.5, massive turbo and away you go....

(only a 2.3 this one)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Sounds fine to me.

Reply to
Elder

I reckon you would want a little bit more for that than the price of a 1 giffer owner 740 saloon. Saw those shinies before.

Reply to
Elder

Oh, and I meant to say that you can get the bellhousing adaptors so you can easily put the white block (5 pot T5) lump in a 2/7/940 if that was the direction you want to go. GO have a look round Turbobricks and be amazed at their mentalness!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Looks OK in the pics - but no tax since end October 2006 and not insured.

I can only assume it has a postal MOT.

Reply to
SteveH

Does it come with a coolant cap? (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"One joke. So many possibilities."

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It's been in dry storage since 2006 (when the tax ran out) and only came out on Sunday when I trailered it down to where it is now.

It's not on the MID because I've not had it on the road since 2006, if it had been stolen from where it was parked it would have flagged up if it had passed a cop car. It's insured against fire and theft, but it's not on the MID as I didn't want it on the MID. I can do this with a trade policy, it only has to go on the MID if it is going to be driven. Putting it on the MID is just a case of sending a text to the insurance company, taking it off the MID is done the same way.

It's not got an MOT, but it will have in the next week or so. There's f*ck all up with it - started first turn of the key when the battery was connected, no rattles, no squeaks, no smoke. It was restored by the chief technician at a VW main agent using only genuine VW parts, used by him for 4000 miles, serviced and put in a nice, dark, dry, dehumidified place until Sunday.

It's been in my sig on and off over the last few years (first mentioned in November 2006 when I was thinking of buying it) whenever I've thought about selling it but its not been used as it'd be a shame to use it for daily running about town. As I'm off on a trip to Czech next month it's coming out, being given a full service and check over, fresh MOT and Tax and properly going up for sale.

I don't even know why the f*ck I'm bothering explaining all this.

Reply to
Pete M

It does, a proper VW one. Pete AVM has a spare if needed.

Reply to
Pete M

Thanks for the clarification. My memory should be trusted about as far=20 as it could throw a 740 estate....

Ian

--=20 Ian Riches Bedford, UK

Reply to
Ian Riches

Nice.

Reply to
Doki

that doesn't make it a good car. sure it's tunable, just weld the wastegate shut ;-)

Great for tip runs but otherwise wouldn't even consider one. Hideous thing to drive.

Reply to
john