Re: If the deity I've obviously upset is reading this, can they please tell me...

The nova td's are hard to find now sadly, just like the 205 dturbo's. The mk3 fiesta diesel is utter crap. It gives good mpg, but it's awful to drive, more so than the other mk3 fiesta's. You must be able to find something better?

Reply to
James Grabowski

Erm, anything has to be better than the Cavalier Mk3 1.7D I'm borrowing at the mo... ;-)

The Fiesta is cheap, and has PAS - tbh, if it's reliable and economical, I'll just stick with it until another Nova TD comes up at the right price.

If I see a 205TD cheap enough, I'll have a look at one of those as well.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

theres always a few about on autotrader and the like. when looking recently i found at least 10 different TDs, including 2 STDTs in my area

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

/me wafts the one on ebay under your nose.

Up to £460 so far...

;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

snip

Up 'til that point, most of my diesel experience had been in vans, and the Cav seemed slow even compared to those!

My father-in-law has the 110PS TDi, and yes it's a bit quicker (why a diesel needs 6 gears is beyond me though!) but still feels slow, overweight (even compared to my car!) and noisy.

Reply to
Jamesy

Yes, but in general, a NA diesel will have the bulk of its torque available over a far wider band of the rev range than a NA petrol, with max torque available at far lower revs.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

All over the South. Tonight i'm doing the Bullnose in Oxford (well around Oxford)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yup. A 1.9 NA diesel will produce roughly the same torque as a 1.6 NA petrol, but less power because it runs out of revs much earlier than most petrols.

A 1.9 turbo diesel can produce the same torque as anything up to about a

3.5 NA petrol (cf. 150 BHp vw TDi lump - 319nm, BMW 735i - 320nm, 235BHp), but again less power due to the resitricted rev range. For comparison, a production 1.9 turbo petrol might typically be expected to produce ~200 BHp, and around ~270nm of torque. TurboDiesels typically run higher boost levels than turbo petrols.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby