Re: might have to part with the MR2!

want to move out one day

Aren't you scheduled to be moving in with some new soap dropping friends soon... ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Well, there are the bikes. And you could take an HR-V and remove some of the drivetrain (this is .modifications, after all). My lawnmower is RWD too.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

->Think about a 1.6 MX5, Not bad priced (compared to what you'll get on

->the MR2), the insurance will still be high, but a lot cheaper, it will

->be better on petrol, and still be RWD.

My money would be on a MX5, tho I would ring the insurance co and ask what it would cost after say a six month ban.

At least the MX5 would hold it's value, when your insurance recovers you can stick a V8 in it.

Reply to
Geoff

LOL - leave the poor lad alone!

I think he should go with my recommendation of a diesel AX - costs bugger all to run, leaving more money for enjoying life and buying a place to live, then get something nice when you can more comfortably afford it.

Plus a slow-as-shit 1.5D AX would be positively *excellent* for convincing the court that you've done the right thing and moved to a slow car with absolutely no temptation to drive like a nutter.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I still think my suggestion of a s**te old diesel is a very good way to go - even if it's just to flog it once you've been through the whole court thing (as a s**te old derv would convince them you've changed your speed-freak ways).

Funnily enough, a mate of mine's flogging an old Escort diesel. Here's a brief lowdown:

J reg (first of the Mk5s), average miles for one of those (around 150-160k - saying 100k less than that thanks to a 5-digit speedo), Owned by his Dad for the last 2-3 years, and when he bought it he had the cambelts and water pump replaced, and hasn't done loads of miles since then (around 10-15k or so), No MOT or tax, but a couple of weeks back he took it for an MOT and all it failed on was a tyre (there's a good spare in the boot) and a marginal crack in the windscreen that a lot of people may not even fail. MOT retest has probably timed out, but for the sake of an MOT test fee, 5 minutes changing a tyre and possily £50 for a new windscreen (some insurance cos don't even have a screen excess), it's a good cheap reliable s**te old runabout.

£150 or near offer - located around North Surrey area.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

->> love the idea of an 80's CRX or maybe another MK1 MR2 but i love air con

->> and whatever i have now would have to have air con!

->Funnily enough, a mate of mine's flogging an old Escort diesel. Here's a

->brief lowdown:

Christ no need to kick him that hard when he's down !!!

Reply to
Geoff

LOL! It may be a s**te old Escort, which are s**te to drive, etc etc., but those old Ford 1.8D lumps (pre-EGR and other emissions s**te) are actually bloody good on fuel, and not bad engines for what they are, and it's been reliable for the last couple of years - it'd be an ideal cheap runabout for someone. No MOT only 'cos his old man can't be arsed with it and fancied something newer, but the recent failure sheet is fairly conclusive proof that it'd pass an MOT with little fuss. That is, unless they've missed some serious rust issue or other (which should be easy to see when looking under the car).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

REMUS in "talking sense" shocker. :-)

Reply to