Re: NEW MR2 humiliated!

i'd only ever consider a MK3 MR2 with a turbo whacked on or a 3SGTE engine

> conversion! > >

I believe there is a german company produced a MRS/MR2 roadster using TTE parts and a 3S-GTE

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

mad bugger germans!

would love to try that with a late spec 3SGTE, 245bhp and the whole car in at under 1000kg's with the 3SGTE would be pretty sweet :)

Reply to
Vamp

Imagine how they look when they get outdragged by someone driving an American Truck.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I love the logic "I could of afforded an Evo if I didn't have wife and kids". Heck, I could of afforded a FoB supercharged car if I didn't have a wife and kids. Oh, hang on, I *do* own a FoB supercharged car.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Or even better, a British truck.

Merkin trucks are gutless (300BHP range as opposed to 400+ in UK) and use technology at least a generation behind ours.

Reply to
Conor

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor slurred :

That's interesting - my experience when driving in the states was that the 'big-rig' type of truck didn't slow down nearly as much on gradients as UK lorries do. Maybe they were all empty :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Cant Believe somebody in a corsa is racing a Mr2!? my bird has got a

106 GTI and it outstripped out handelled and out everything else a Modified Corsa GSI at a track day at thruxton (7.9secs a lap faster)Oh and by the way there were 3 Mr2 mk3's that day and they all lapped around 30 to 40 secs faster than this corsa.

How did you time it? If you're caught using timing gear at a track day you're usually invited to leave.

Reply to
DervMan

They must produce stacks more torque, because on the Grapevine close to Los Angeles, they were still ascending the long, steep gradient at 70 mph. The

2.7 V6 hire car we had was selecting third, cruise set to 75...
Reply to
DervMan

It was a corporate/private event employies were allowed to run there own cars and timing was done by track marshals myself and girlfriend managed to go because our friend worked for the company and some people dropped out and we were aloowed to go to fill there place, all i know if sombody offers you the chance to blat around a track for the day your gonna go?

there were people with bigger better cars and they were just down right crazy!

Reply to
HAHAHA..Whatevermate

Forgive me if it seems a bit of a dense question to ask, but any particular reason why?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

THey run at far lower weights and have far more gears. They also run faster too. A UK truck running at US weights would fly up hills.

Reply to
Conor

Of course they will. They're running around 8 tonnes lower than the UK and have shitloads of gears to make up for the crap engines.

Reply to
Conor

6 axle one with the same type of trailer used in the UK is limited to about 26 tonnes if I read the California weight tables right. The absolute maximum weight without being an abnormal load is about 36 tonnes.

We run at 44 tonnes in the UK. At 36 tonnes, I'd hardly notice it was loaded.

Reply to
Conor

I was wrong about the power. They do up to 600BHP. Read the following though and it just shows how s**te their engines are.

Their weight limits are defined by the distance between any pair of axles. 36 tonnes is the absolute top weight limit in CA and the gap between the drive axles on the unit and the axles on the trailer would be 60 feet. A rig with the same length configuration as the UK would be limited to 26 tonnes. We run at 44 tonnes. When I run at 36 tonnes, it hardly feels like there's anything on it.

Now do you see why they fly up hills?

Reply to
Conor

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor slurred :

Ah, right. Cheers for that. It's odd though 'cos some of them seemed _huge_, so I assumed they'd be dragging bigger loads, but as you said in your other post, they're limited to smaller loads for a given size.

Out of interest, what would a typical UK cab/trailer weigh when unladen?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I struggled to read this. If it's anything like the Corsa's claimed acceleration speeds I'm skeptical.

Reply to
DervMan

No worries. It's because it makes the difference between "motorsport" and "competitive motorsport." As soon as you make it competitive, you need different insurance and all sorts.

The loophole is that you video yourself and time your laps that way, but you're timing yourself after the event.

Reply to
DervMan

Corsa still s**te! not saying the 106 is better, then again there was also Ka there and it was keeping up with said corsa through the twisty bits, i'm talking handling here people. Besides the ACTUAL accelleration time for the 106 is 7.4 secs, an official 0-60 sprint time of 8sec was given to keep insurance grouping levels down so that the car was available to a wider comsumer range i.e nasty boy racers.

Having driven my Grans (70yrs old today) corsa GSI it is a quick car granted but it just does not go round the bends as well as the 106, the newer ones maybe with there lotus tuned suspension but the older bubble shaped ones were/are not a patch, there is just to much twist in the chassis the car feels keen enough as does the engine, but it does not deliver the same feed back as the pug which chassis is mush tighter and forgiving And lets face it at the end of the day its down to the driver and car combination not just the car?

I'm not tryin to go, my car it better than your car, nah nah i'm just trying to reiterate the point made earlier that the guy in a corsa to (Humiliated?) the Mr2 was missing, its not about the speed its about the fun you have in a car, speed is just a by product of good driving first good car second. I'm going now to drive a car rather than spend my life talking about it, enjoy what ever you drive even if it must be a corsa ;)

Reply to
HAHAHA..Whatevermate

Why? Just say it. Watch, its easy -

Corsa are s**te - 106's are better.

See :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

The first generation Corsa after the revisions had Lotus-fettled suspension. It helped. It had to.

I'm sorry. You can call the Peugeot 106 many things but "forgiving" is not one of them. It's fast, it's fluid, it's fun and it also bites your hands off if you have to lift off or brake mid-way around a corner. It makes the Ka feel like your best buddy when it does it.

No. There are a huge number of "fast" drivers that are not "good" drivers. And a bunch of "slow" drivers that are "good" drivers. Speed is irrelevant.

Reply to
DervMan