Re: The best all round performance tyres

don't ask lordy as any old cheap shit on a rover is fine :)

Mashoo wrote: > > > Just bought 195/50/15 toyo proxes t1s for £45 each. one the best > > performance tyres around and possible THE best when you consider the > > price??????? > > Not even close. Cheap s**te, IMHO. > > You get what you pay for, and I'll happily pay extra to shod my car with > Pirelli P7000s or Yokos. > -- > Steve H 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo' >
- Honda VFR800> VW Golf GL Cabrio (carb broken) - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 33 1.7ie> BoTAFOT #87 - BoTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Reply to
vamp

Depends on your car/driving I suppose. I only get about 6000 miles from my fronts, and at £110 each, big-name tyres would be an expensive habit ! I'm quite happy with my £60 no-name tyres - they've got enough grip to stop me crashing, so they're more than upto the job.

Reply to
Nom

EXACTLY the approach I take (at least it would be, if I used mine on the track :)

Reply to
Nom

I haven't tried them, but have experience of 'no name' tyres on my bikes, so could never recommend them on a car either.

I wish I could afford to run Yokos myself - nothing grips like a Yoko.

Reply to
SteveH

or wears out as quickly...

Previous Experience.. RS2000 Mk5 - got through 3 sets of Conti Aqua Contacts and one set of Avons in 6 months. Sapphire Cossie - 4 225/35/17 Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front in 18000 2 245/35/17 Yokohama A???s in a weekend in Wales 2 245/35/17 Conti somethings in 5000 2 245/35/17 Eagle F1s in 4000 2 245/35/17 Toyo somethings in 7000 with ZERO grip from the buggers.

Reply to
Pete M

TOYO aren't no-name tyres. TOYO are a well recognised manufacturer and the proxes T1S are their (pretty well respected) performance tyre. £35 a corner is a VERY cheap price for these tyres.

Used to run yoko A510s on my mini, and they did grip pretty well. Wore out in about 10000 miles tho (compared to 15k for pirellis), so not a cheap option....

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

They're only know due to all the publicity they get in the boy-racer magazines..... every knob with a modded Nova seems to run them.

10k miles! Jesus, if I could get that out of a pair of Yokos, I'd not think twice about buying them - last pair of Yokos I ran lasted me about 3k miles - they were wearing really badly on the edges, but OK-ish in the centre..... looks like the roundabouts in Milton Keynes took it out of 'em.
Reply to
SteveH

I'm just about to replace the front two tyres on my 5 series now they're down to 2mm. 225/55/16 Michelin Pilot HX MXM. They've been on there since new. I don't spare them when conditions allow.

They've done 52,832 miles. The rears lasted 40,000.

I'm not convinced cheapies are not a false economy.

Reply to
Grant Mason

in news:1g21lkq.1lo6nb1pjreo3N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) spake thusly:

I think that's unfair. From various tyre reviews, the proxes get a pretty good write-up. The fact the boy racers use them is neither here- nor-there - they have the same criterea of performance vs cost as everyone else, and if there is a decent tyre available at a comparatively reasonable cost then they will use them.

Well, bear in mind that the mini weighed 650Kg and produced a massive

85Bhp (at the wheels) - not a combination designed to tax the tyres, even when driven as hard as it was.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Personnally found the P6000 very good comprimise bwtween dry/wet grip, resistance to wear and quietness, and not bad money either. Have gone back to them after a poor session with some Michelins.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Do you do mainly motorway driving, or just drive -very- slowly?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's the Avon lookalike that's cheaper and lasts about 4000 miles before going "off" and becoming very slippery indeed.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The Boyz like them because they look good - the directional tread is overrated I reckon, most modern assymetrics seem just as good for water dispersal.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

recommended.

I did the A66. Pissing rain, nicely entertaining :P. Managed to keep up with an Audi A6, but neither of us were going flat out, as I didn't know the road and it was pouring, and he didn't seem to be keen to get rid of me off his rear end.

Reply to
Doki

omg, this stuff is so funny you couldn't make it up :)

Reply to
Lordy

Is that the Avon ZV1? I've got them on the Saab. Had them on for about 4k miles now. Tread is barely scuffed. In the dry grip is good, but on Damp (not wet) road, If I hoof it, I can get wheelspin in the first 3 gears. other than that wet handling is competant.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Obviously you know little about tyres - but then is subaru make boy racer cars then your right, as the P1 and STI imprezza had TOYO as standard fitment, then they extended it to the rest of the range before changing the imprezza.

The tyres were tested recently on an imprezza and and Evo 7 for a well known motoring mag. The TOYO was beaten only by the Eagle F1 and the Potenza SO3. but was significantly cheaper than both. But obviously you knew that!!

Reply to
Mashoo