Re: Web site for car and wheel possibilities

And in other news Oliver Haslam is quoted as saying:

Is there a web site where I can tell it what my car is, and it will > tell me what size wheels I can fit without any problems? With my > limited knowledge, am I right in thinking them fitting under the > arches isnt the only problem, but rather whether the gearing will be > affected? >

If they don't fit under the arches the gearing isn't really a problem :)

What car is it? What size wheels and tyres are on it now? What size do you want to fit?

Reply to
Chet

Its an Astra Coupe, with the standard 16s on.

From the Vauxhall site:

6J x 16 alloy wheels with 205/50 R 16 ultra-low profile tyres (6J x15 steel spare with 195/60 R 15 low profile tyre)

Thinking of maybe 18s, depending on price and if it will kill handling or not

TIA

Oli

Reply to
Oliver Haslam
18s will fit. pay attention to the offset of the wheel.
Reply to
Mark Craft

But not recommended.

Not something you need to know really - the wheel supplier will supply them to specifically fit his car, so the offset/pcd/cbore etc. should already be correct.

Reply to
Nom

Depends what you want, a nice back jarring feel every pebble in the road is quite easy to achieve.

Wrong actually. Offset is very important, especially for vauxhalls - its unusually high ( 49mm ) many wheels sold as vauxhall fitment have crappy offsets down in the 30s which makes the wheels stick out further ( remember its a negative offset ) and cause them to clip arches , wheel well liners etc. Getting the right offset is vital if you want to prevent tyres from being shredded...

Reply to
Mark Craft

Why ? If you buy wheels to fit a Vauxhall, then you expect to recieve the correct ET49 offset.

Sold by who ? No reputable wheel-supplier would sell you an incorrect fitment !

Agreed. If you buy Vauxhall-fit wheels, there's no reason for it to change.

Reply to
Nom