rear lights need 3 or 4 wires???

I have to put new non standard rear lights in my VW rabbit since the old lights are all banged up and replacements are getting harder to get. I have done this on another brand of car and apprently there the rear light had a ground wire, one wire for the tail light and one wire for brake/flasher combo, so 3 wires was all I needed and the modification went flawless.

The VW has two separate rear lights, one has the tail and brake light and the other the flasher only and I am having difficulties thinking about how to change the wiring so I can use my new 3 wire rear light assembly as opposed to a 4 wire assembly.

When I connect the flasher wire and the brake light wire together both turn lights, left and right, go on when I want to turn, which should confuse everybody behind me...

Any advice???

Uwe

Reply to
Uwe

UK lights also have foglights, indicators, and reversing lights - so ours have a bunch of wires !

Reply to
Nom