Rendezvous

OK, sad git time here. I couldn't resist trying to work out what speed the car is doing in Rendezvous and now that Google Earth and Autoroute exist it's a piece of cake.

The opening scenes show the car leaving the Peripherique and Entering the Avenue Foch and then driving down the Champs Elysee. ICBA to work out timings for other sections, but I get the following:

48 52 17.91 N 2 16 32.12 E Avenue Foch

48 52 24.58 N 2 17 45.24 E Champs Elysee (0.853 miles 38s 81 mph)

48 51 57.36 N 2 19 10.70 E Place de la Concorde (1.23 miles 60s 73.8 mph)

So it's fast for a city centre, but not that fast and those are bloody great big wide absolutely straight boulevards.

Runs a lot of red lights though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

: OK, sad git time here. I couldn't resist trying to work out what speed : the car is doing in Rendezvous and now that Google Earth and Autoroute : exist it's a piece of cake.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Pah, and about the same timings. It looks faster than he's driving because the camera is so low down.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth (%steve%@malloc.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's the sound track (which is added in later) that *really* speeds it up - watch it on mute. Seems almost slow.

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed, not trick photography as such but a trick all the same. It's the red light jumping and taking some one-way streets the wrong way that make the stunt dangerous, rather than the speed.

Reply to
Steve Firth