Reusing a damaged head

I'm not goin to get into the story behind it but the head on the integrale has been damaged by a stray bolt getting thru the inlet manifold into no. 3 cylinder.

3 valves are bent and the piston is shot. The head has a few marks in it but with a bit of sanding i'm sure it could be smoothed out fairly well. Are high spots in the head really as dangerous to a turbo lump as they say? How important would the change in combustion chamber volume be?
Reply to
Chet

Oops. Might be easier to get a different head. Is it a 16v integrale? If so, the head from the Thema V.I.S. would do nicely as they flow very well. Wonder if the V.I.S. inlet manifold could also be fitted to aid low-end torque to offset turbo lag...hmm let's not make it less reliable now shall we (the bearings tend to sieze)! Last time I looked (which was a while ago now) FL Autos had a VIS in stock with only 24k miles on the clock. The phone number's in my previous Lancia related post.

This would go nicely with it too and what a bargain:

fishman

no, but spikey bits that can get hot could be, a little dressing and it will be ok.

How

Since its unlikely to be the same volume on all anyway I wouldnt worry!

Reply to
Burgerman

I'm keeping it standard thanks very much! Well, with the exception of a few silicone hoses

Reply to
Chet

Right, good enough for me :) Ordered the rest of the parts now so fingers crossed it gets running this time...

Reply to
Chet

Just how does a bolt get into a running motor anyway??? How did it sound! Make sure nothing is cracked...

Reply to
Burgerman

Sounds like the filter cover was off, and something small and removed got sucked in because it wasn't moved far enough away. Although how it got past the turbo/intercooler really confuses me.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It was a 4mm allen bolt of unknown origin. Our guess is it slipped into the inlet manifold when it was getting reassembled and worked its way down thru the valves because it ran for a bit before the noise came into it. It sounded like hitting a biscuit tin full of spanners with a frying pan, i got scared.

Reply to
Chet

Once had a bolt come loose on the carb on the Volvo 340. Dropped into the butterfly and made a terrific racket and robbed all the power, which made me stop and have a look before it got in. And my dad once had a SAAB 99 with an unfindable rattle. Until the nut in one of the cylinders wore a hole in the piston.

Reply to
doki

Now holes in pistons I am very familiar with! I used to keep a collection to remind me why rich and retarded (nitrous) was best! I have melted plugs, lots of exhaust valves, pistons and a head... On one special occasion all at once! Too much too soon... Eventually you learn to see these things as a good excuse to fit better stronger parts!

Reply to
Burgerman

LMAO you're as mad as Chet! one to many hits on the head as a child methinks

Reply to
Vamp

You are GW Bush and I claim my five pounds.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar