1990 volvo 24o

as i press on the accelerator a white cloud of smoke comes out from the tail pipe for about 1 minute also with a knocking sound this has happened more than once it got really bad yesterday so i parked it what is that

Reply to
pokey45

Is this right after starting first ting after the car sits, like overnight? Have you checked the coolant level? I would bet it is low If the cloud smells slightly sweet then it is likely a coolant leak into the combustion chamber. Eventually it will cause a blown head gasket, or worse, a bent rod or broken piston. It might just be a bad/leaking head gasket which allows coolant to leak into the combustion chanber. it gets into the hot exhaust stream and vaporizes. At 2200:1 Steam:water volume it doesn't take much coolant to make a lot of steam. if yuo are lucky it just might be a bad head gasket. If not then it could be a cracked head or cracked block.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

As Randy G says, it sounds like head gasket or similar troubles. The shadetree test is to remove the pressure cap (engine cold) and start the engine. Put the palm of your hand over the pressure cap opening. If you feel a steady rise in pressure over a period of a few seconds or - more ominous yet - pulsations in pressure the news is bad. A more professional test is done with either cylinder pressurization or by checking the coolant for hydrocarbons. Whatever the cause, head removal is the first step to repair.

Has it possibly had serious overheating recently? A common cause of your symptoms is head warping and subsequent head gasket failure from overheating. Sometimes it just happens to you.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Or, first thing in the morning pull the plugs, defeat the ignition system (that's important) and crank the motor over. If coolant sprays out of the plug hole(s) you found the difficulty.

Hit the local smog shop and have them use the tailpipe probe over the expansion bottle for the cooling system. It will quickly detect any stray hydrocarbons.

And on the 240 it is not a terribly difficult job. looks downright simple compared to a 1969 Ford Galaxy! ;-)

If the gasket is found to be defective, take the head to a machine shop and have them CHECK IT FIRST to see if it is within specs. Deck or mill only if necessary. At that point I would consider a rebuilt head anyay (depending on how many miles on the car/valves).

The other thing to consider, is if it did overheat you need to find the cause or you will blow the new gasket in a short time.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I have a 87 244 to part out with excellent running engine and tranny - only reason I have to part her is she has endured too many harsh winters with salted roads and her body is beginning to be unsafe underneath. I am truly going to miss her. So she rests here in Toronto Canada and I am taking offers, she is plated til end of January 2006 - brakes are badly rusted from sitting, I have 4 snows for her p185.70r14 can't quite remember if they are michelin artic alpin or Nordic icetrac CTC brand. Just know they considerable tread left on them and run true - no vibrations or wobbling. call me if you like at 905 569-8800 or email here.

Reply to
Daniel