Head casting number?

Have a set of heads with a casting number 536686 and would like to know more details about their origin and compression ratio.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

John Poulos

No, it had standard valves but now has larger than stock valves, installed by me, and it's on an engine I sold to my brother in Australia. It was a 259 with an estimated 9.5:1 compression.

I used to work at a place that specialized only in Studebakers and we had lots of engines, blocks, heads, etc.. and this engine was an exchange for a rebuilt HP that we built for the customer. I used the engine for a core to swap out after rebuild for my Stude.

I installed larger than stock valves. So it would appear that they are not

232 heads.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

232 engines only had two sets of heads that I know of; one 7.0 and the other 7.5 and neither were this number. I've not seen this number before.

Ted

Reply to
tedharbit

I can't remember all the head numbers of the heads we used but of the combustion chamber volume on the set I measured there were at least four different volumes, not including any R3 series heads. Of the numbers I saw most were the newer casting with starting numbers 15 as opposed to the older casting starting with 5. I had read somewhere that at one point, around

1962/3 Studebaker made some new molds for casting heads and also started at some point swapping to the 15 prefix. I have seen a heads with standard 259/289 size valves with the older 5 prefix. Now I understand that any milling of the heads would produce different combustion chamber volumes but I am referring to heads, with as closes as possible to measure, the same thickness of head material but with measurable difference in the depth of the combustion area in the head. This difference was a concern to myself because at the time I started to measure the depths for personal reference I was assembling an engine with a set of heads for a customer with one old and one new casting number. The heads in stock were all classified as the same except for casting numbers. I measured all the heads with different casting numbers and confirmed to the owner of the company that, yes indeed, Studebaker did have many different heads and would not assemble any more engines unless the casting numbers matched.

Some of the heads with the old casting numbers were identical to heads with the newer casting numbers in combustion chamber volume.

I'll try to get a hold of some other numbers from Australia to see if they are any different. The most popular head is 1557582.

I have a set of heads with 537555 from an engine with serial number V470908 indicating it's a 1960 259.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

correction:

"I can't remember all the head numbers of the heads we used but of the combustion chamber volume on the sets I measured there were at least four different volumes, not including any R3 series heads".

I forgot to put the 'S' at the end of sets in the starting sentence.

Wiz

Reply to
Wizard of Oz