Rover 220 Coupe

The normally aspirated version - is this a K series engine?

Are they any good?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It has the M-Series M16 engine, the largest K-Series engine was the 1.8.

Reply to
Homer

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling you're talking s**te. I thought the 2 litre in the 220 was a T series (turbocharged or not), and the largest K series engines are the KV6s,are they not?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I know the Turbo engines could be M or T (I think) depending on age but wasn't sure about the n/a. Especially since they seemed to chop and chang the engines across the 200/400/600 ranges.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hehe, yup :)

Pretty much, the 2.0 (turbo and NASP) was the M series prior to '92, then revised and called the T-Series.

Yup, in 2.0 or 2.5 format (both V6s) - although whether they are actually a "K-Series" themselves or just a derivation is possibly open to debate.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Yep, I think you're right, the M16 would have been the previous model.

I was just referring to the I4 engines since the KV6 wasn't in the 220. The KV6 was derived from the I4's but I'm not sure if it's still classed as a K-Series engine.

Reply to
Homer

Judd K2000, 2 litre, 270bhp race engine.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

For the 220 HP-version:

" The sale price of the engine is =A312,900 +VAT.=20 " " The engine will require a full rebuild after 3,000 miles of track use.=20 Routine rebuild costs will be =A33,750 labour plus parts. "

RUN !!!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

The 2.0s I've tried haven't really been all that in old age - they seem to suffer with lethargy at higher miles compared to the VVC and Honda engined versions.

Engine aside, they're a nice looking car.

The roof rattles and generates a lot of wind noise, and they're really cramped headroom wise compared to the three / five door model 200s of the same era.

I had an R reg VVC coupe at the same time as a H reg 216 GTi Twin Cam three door, and the GTi seemed to be much better screwed together and enjoying its old age more than the VVC.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Hmmm, now I had a mate say the same thing about a 216 Coupe - nice package visually, but build quality wasn't that great. From what i remember of my

214s I didn't think they were that bad at all in terms of build quality.

Hmmm I'll add it to the maybe list.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They're not bad... but they definitely seem to have suffered as a result of the roof.

Try a decatted VVC - releases a noticable amount of extra power... :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

' Heh - I've heard people claim that any K series takes that much care and attention anyway!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Don't even want to hear it: I've owned a K-series Rover (nice car!) and=20 I have now a K-powered Elise which I definitely love.

Little brother came in yesterday (he just got a 320d Bimmer as company=20 car): " Yes, it goes fairly well but I know which car I want next."

Strangely enough I found the leaflet, the price of the kit, engine and=20 gearbox "out of the blue" this morning on my desk... Nope: in ain't no=20 K-series.

Kit : 15700 UKP

500 HP Chevy crate engine and gearbox : 7000 US$ Building time =3D 6 months. Allready contacted a bloke in Ostend who races them...

Liked the little note : "Make it happen!"

:-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I was at a trackday in July. Someone had brought along an Ultima GTR. It sounded pretty cool.

One of my highlights of the day was pulling far over to the right on the home straight and being simultaneously overtaken by the GTR, a flame-spitting Murchielago and an Elise with a Supercharged Civic Type R engine side by side.

I love being young and impressionable.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Don't even want to hear it: I've owned a K-series Rover (nice car!) and I have now a K-powered Elise which I definitely love.

Little brother came in yesterday (he just got a 320d Bimmer as company car): " Yes, it goes fairly well but I know which car I want next."

Strangely enough I found the leaflet, the price of the kit, engine and gearbox "out of the blue" this morning on my desk... Nope: in ain't no K-series.

Kit : 15700 UKP

500 HP Chevy crate engine and gearbox : 7000 US$ Building time = 6 months. Allready contacted a bloke in Ostend who races them...

Liked the little note : "Make it happen!"

:-)

Tom De Moor

Bring it here and let me have a go :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Don't even want to hear it: I've owned a K-series Rover (nice car!) and I have now a K-powered Elise which I definitely love.

Little brother came in yesterday (he just got a 320d Bimmer as company car): " Yes, it goes fairly well but I know which car I want next."

Strangely enough I found the leaflet, the price of the kit, engine and gearbox "out of the blue" this morning on my desk... Nope: in ain't no K-series.

Kit : 15700 UKP

500 HP Chevy crate engine and gearbox : 7000 US$ Building time = 6 months. Allready contacted a bloke in Ostend who races them...

Liked the little note : "Make it happen!"

:-)

Tom De Moor

----------------------------------------------------------------------- My mate went to a V-Max day at Bruntingthorpe about a month ago and a guy had trailered one of these down from Scotland to play with (thats quite a long way!!). After a couple of laps he had blown the engine and had to trailer it all the way back. I couldnt help but laugh :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

That reminds me of a guy that brought a real GT40 to Castle Combe some years back for a test day. Poor guy had gearbox trouble and couldn't find any gear other than 1st and only did one lap with a max speed of about 30mph before putting it back on the trailer and leaving.

Reply to
David Billington